New to xs400.com but not finding it helpful!

I have been on this forum for a long time and have answered many questions. New member must realize that after four+ years most topics for working on these bikes have come up many many times. It can be a bit tiring to repeat the same answer over and over. Most questions can be resolved by simply using the search tab or even google-ing it. :) The complete manual is even available for free in the classified section. Lets all play nice:wink2::)

I have been on this forum for a long time and have answered many questions. New member must realize that after four+ years most topics for working on these bikes have come up many many times. It can be a bit tiring to repeat the same answer over and over. Most questions can be resolved by simply using the search tab or even google-ing it. :) The complete manual is even available for free in the classified section. Lets all play nice:wink2::)

that's why I've stopped commenting as much now, its like groundhog day.

I'll chirp in when needed :D

I love the xs400. I might be picking up a fourth one soon:doh: It is my first street bike and even tho it feels like ground hog day I will keep posting:thumbsup::laugh:

So if someone comes on a thread you started telling you to "grow a pair",calling you a moron, egotistical ignoramus, it is your fault? This is my last post unrelated to fixing my 78 Yamaha XS400. Thanks! : )

The fact that you have received helpful and supportive replies says much for the people who make up this community.

+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
:bike::bike::bike::bike::bike::bike::bike::bike:

Juju, I'm not going to tell you whether you are right or wrong, but I can tell you this. The people on this site are some of the most honest, hard working, and helpful people you will find on the web. It is VERY rare (and difficult) to stir this hornet's nest, which you seem to have done.

We understand that you are frustrated, trust me we have all been there, and you may not have meant to be offensive. However, the moment you said "I don't mean to sound douchey" sent up instant defensive flags and you may as well have been a sign saying "ATTENTION ALL!!!! I'M ABOUT TO BE A GIANT DOUCHE!!!!" Its similar to saying to your boss "with all due respect". Just because you say it, does mean your not going to sound like a douche.

I hope you can understand why you got so much negative response. I know it's unheard of to apologize on a forum but I think our community would be willing to forget about this thread if you are. Lets just put this behind us and all of us can stop sticking out our tail feathers and help each other out.

No progress yet. My neighbor said he has some tools from work that can help get it out. Hopefully I get it out this week because it's one off the only things that are keeping me from getting it running. I'll post pics of it tomorrow and thanks for the reply! : )

:boxing: Split up you two, three or how ever many there are there.:poke:Stop sticking each other, (Drewpy I have missed your one line comments) :twocents:So know that everyone knows each other, lets get back to what we are here for.:offtopic:You stop saying no one is helping, You stop stirring up the:bs: :hijack: is off, now go back into your perspective corners, and come out with pics of your head off, and the back of the spark plug being twisted out, you over there, say your sorry, and there will be no more of that! We can get along.

I know my advise isn't always good, but you can all ways search for something better. Never be satisfied with one answer. If you care to do it right, double check the Manual. and another source. Get a second opinion. if you can not find something, help us, make a vid, and describe it. (or pic) create a new thread for Solution: repaired head with stuck plug or something that seems appropriate. Like others have repeated, sometimes we all have a life, and cannot just jump to the keyboard. sometimes it will take a day or two for one of us to get to your question.. While your waiting, Hit the resources, google, to youtube, and the the Tech section. Outside of our XS400.com, is about 5 or so forums like this, Maxim, (which is a newer xs400 ... You got all the major hitters on this thread, except for Willem, (hi Willem) when he gets here.

btw, be extra careful that you don't knock any metal bits into the cylinder when getting the plug out. After you get it out, you can get a magnet on a stick and wiggle around inside the cylinder and maybe a makeshift vacuum attachment with your shop vac to double check. If there is a lot of debris, you may need to take the motor apart. That would suck but its still better than blowing up your motor cause you cut corners.

If you strip the threads, I've heard helicoils work pretty well to fix it but I've never had to do it myself.

I want to see if I can get the spark plug out by either taking off the bolts from the exhaust connecting to the cylinder or from the carburetor. Definitely leather today I'll post pics. Thanks

You will not be able to access the combustion chamber/plugs from the intake or exhaust port. The head must come off. :(

The head must come off. :(

OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!

tumblr_mb2ntuqt081rdutw3o1_400.gif

:D

Juju - to help you see when people respond:

In the GARAGE forum, note that at or near the top, on the right hand side is something that says "Forum Tools". Click the little downward pointing arrow and click "Mark this forum read". Now every time you come back you can see what the new topics/posts have occurred since your last visit.

Another option, if you don't want to mark it ALL read. When looking through the various thread titles that run down the left side of the screen you'll notice some have a little downward pointing arrow next to them. If you click on this it will take you to the first new post since you last viewed that thread.

Either, or both, will help you navigate these threads fairly easily...

Personnally I use the Control panel, as my return to this site. Use that as a bookmark, or desktop icon, then everytime I come into the site, I get the answers from everyone immediately. (or critzims.)

I came to this site because I just bought a 78 yamaha xs400 not to long ago and I thought I could get some insight on the restoration process. None. The bike has problems and any help someone could offer would be awesome. First off, I have a broken spark plug thread stuck in the cylinder head. I don't know how to get it out so I'll just take off the cylinder head and try and twist it out. Secondly, the boots of the ignition cables won't snap onto my new spark plugs so I'll probably need new ones. Thirdly, I just bought a battery but I didn't know that I would have to fill it with acid. I'll need to do that next. Next, the cables from the petcock aren't connected and the fuel line from the gas tank is broken. The bike has a couple other problems with it but none that I think will keep it from starting. That's it for now. Not to sound douchy, but if people who are knowledgeable in XS400's aren't helping less knowledgeable ones, this site is good for nothing. On a humble note, any advice that someone gives is appreciated.

Good Luck

Last edited:
Back