New XS400G owner trying to get her up and running for summer (video inside)

myleskilloneous

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
After lurking the forum for a few weeks while researching bikes, I was able to pick up a beautiful XS400G for $950. The guy who sold it to me rode it for 10 years and his father owned it before him. Its got about 16,000 miles on it but looks great and rides well once shes warmed up.

He seems to have kept up on maintenance and replaced the battery about 6 months ago but says it often loses power and to keep it on a trickle charger when not in use. The automatic start worked yesterday but not at all once I got it home. I was able to get it kickstarted a few times though.

I was having problems with the choke being stuck "in" but was able to pull it out with pliers last night and drench it in WD-40 which seems to be helping a bit. A little finicky but I can get it out enough to idle and warm it up.

I got her all registered this morning and came home to take her around the block before work to see how she feels (I still havent rode it yet, my friend drove it the 40 miles home for me). The video below was taken about 10 minutes before I accidentally dropped her on her side (she didn't hit the ground but the wall of my garage) which caused about a cup of Gasoline(?) to spill out of the left air filter area. I removed the filter cover and the air filter was definitely saturated with gasoline.

I havent been able to start her since using the kickstarter and am wondering where I should start.

My plan for tomorrow is bring the battery to get tested/charged/replaced if needed. I'm also going to buy some oil and do an oil change since it hasn't been on the road very much these last few years. I'll buy some carb cleaner spray and see if I can clean it out a bit that way while trying to kick start it. I currently have both air filters completely off hoping to get more air intake and get that engine turned over.

I was told the carbs were cleaned a bit late last year and I could make it till the end of summer before I'd have to pull em out and clean them. I know nothing about bikes or engines in general so I'm not sure where to start in trying to get her running. Could I have "flooded" the engine when it tipped over and some gas spilled out. I don't know if there is fuel in there messing stuff up and if it has to be drained or something.

Any tips are appreciated. I'm really hoping a new battery will help with the issue. I'm trying to avoid removing the carbs because I will definitely fuck it up and have little confidence in my mechanical ability.

Give her a listen

I made this quick video for a friend showing him how it idles on choke and then when I turn the choke off. The bike tipped just minutes after this :( Sorry for all the extra noise, I was in my garage which is right on a main road so there are lots of cars driving by.

I've also attached a photo of the choke pin that is getting stuck. I think he may have said it was aftermarket so I have no idea. It is the gold part that is getting stuck "in", you can see some marks from where I grabbed with the pliers to pull it out.

Attachments

• IMG_3782.jpg
    IMG_3782.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 291
Update from the next morning: Was able to get her kickstarted when I got home from work and even take her for a spin around the block. Engine dies anytime I try to use electronics and dont give it enough throttle to compensate.

I'm about to take the battery to get tested/charged and possibly replace it and also pick up some new air filters and stuff for an oil change. I'm also going to buy some carb cleaner or fuel/oil treatment to flush her out once I get it running. I know she'll be good once I get some miles on her and shake the dust off her.

welcome!

bike sounds like it runs pretty well actually, you may get away with staying out of the carbs for a while :O

as for the electronics, make sure you test the charging system as well. Get a voltmeter and measure the voltage over the battery when the bike is running at 3-4k rpms. The voltage should go up to like 14.8 volts and be relatively stable at stable rpms. The bike should be able to deal with the electronics without compensating with throttle.

Another thing to check/replace are the plugs and plug caps. Also cut half an inch off the spark plug cables before twisting new caps on, that helps get a nice clean connection.

the cup of fuel dripping from the air filter after you dropped it came from the float bowls in your carbs, that's pretty normal if you drop it and not much to worry about. Changing the oil is a good idea btw.

Thanks Willem! A new battery seemed to do the trick and she starts up pretty well with the ignition switch now (I was starting to get leg cramps from trying to kick start her). I'm still unlicensed so I'm unable to open her up on my street but will definitely be checking how the battery is holding charge over longer rides. The previous owner replaced the plugs before selling it to me so those are in good shape.

I was glad I could get it going without having to get into the carbs for sure! I did end up spraying lots of carb cleaner in there while the battery was charging and it seemed to help for sure. Also treated gas and oil with some SeaFoam motor treatment which is still working its way through the system.

You run the risk of ruining your new battery if you keep riding around with a faulty charging system. Once a battery is fully drained of power (this is the point you'll notice the bike won't start) you will have damaged it badly. Do yourself a favor and buy/borrow a voltmeter. They're not expensive.

Back