Newbie with problems :)

networkguy

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone i've been lurking here for a while but just joined up. I got an XS400 a while ago. The number on engine is 2g5, but on the frame it is 2lo, and this would fit with it having a starter button that doesnt seem to do anything.

I havent had a chance to change the plugs yet, will do some work on it tomorrow (I'm in Christchurch, NZ and we just had another big earthquake today so now I have extra time to work on the bike yay) however, it is starting up as it is, but only with the choke fully out, and the engine races. When I push the choke in it slows down, and will idle for about 15-20 seconds when the choke is pushed half in, but dies when pushed in completely. I bought the bike off my uncle and it had been sitting for 6 years, but before selling it to me he soaked the carbs and set them to factory settings (and told me not to touch them) but the thing is, I figure it is the carb settings that are the problem?

What do you guys think? any help is appreciated, and I will get some photos up soon

Welcome !
First I would do is to recheck the carb settings, you can find service manuals here on forum, do a search, second, these engines needs time to worm up, there are more technical guys here that will give you more advice....cheers !!!

welcome NWguy

I wouldn't worm your engine like hammerlo says, it interferes with its workings:laugh:

it does look like carbs I'm afraid, if you want, you can tune up the bike, get the valves and igniition timing spot on, replace sparks and oils whilst your pondering the carbs :D

Well today I pulled the carbs off and took them apart, they were still filthy so I thoroughly cleaned them out with aerosol carb cleaner, put it back together and it started up after a few kicks with the choke out, and immediately started racing. I turned down the idle knob till it idled ok, (doesnt sputter like before!) and then as I let it warm up I pushed in the choke and turned up the idle, until it was idling nicely with the choke completely in. I have been through the manuals, but tell me if i'm doing something majorly wrong...
Anyway I figured it was going good enough to try its first ride down the drive. Pulled in the clutch and shifted into 1st and it jolted forward and died. Tightened up the clutch cable, started it again but have now found that the shifter is slipping, tried to tighten it and snapped the bolt... DAM! I got it out, but the spline seems a bit stuffed, am thinking, can I put it back on tightish, and then either weld it, or drill a hole through and put a bolt through? I will have a search through to see if anyone else has had this, I figure it must be common with this and the kickstart, but would appreciate any advice cheers!

After giving this a bit of thought, I think drilling a small hole through for some sort of pin would be the best way to go, welding would make it too difficult to remove

Splines on the shaft messed up, or inside the shift lever? If shift lever get a new one. I would probably get a new shift lever anyway and see if that solves the problem. You're right about not welding, you need to take the shift lever off to get to the sprocket, cam chain and stator.

Ok I've had a few more problems, and been through a few more earthquakes, but I think everything should be pretty sweet tomorrow. It was the levers spline that was messed up, the shaft was fine so I got a new lever (not original but it'll do for now). Then I was having problems with the clutch, the cable was hard to move so i've freed it up, and was playing around with the screw/bolt thing (clutch adjuster?) but it got dark, so I figure I'll read the manual (even though i've got the gist of what that screw does by playing with it) and fine tune it tomorrow when I can see. It's a very nice bike, nearly completely original from what I have seen and if you guys are interested in some photos then someone needs to explain how to put them up :D

To post pics go to your member profile (just press on control panel link at top of the thread) and there on the left hand side under the heading NETWORK is navigation link for "Pictures and Albums". You will be prompted to make an album which is just a category for your pictures and once you make the album you can upload pics. When done you need to go to the back to the album click on a picture you want to add to the post and find the specific url for the picture or BB code which is located beneath the picture. Copy the BB Code and paste it wherever you want in your post. I know it's a bit of a chore but that is how you do it in a nutshell.

full

Like this?

Back