Proper Introduction

iaregenius

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is my proper introduction, I realized I kinda just jumped in asking questions without really sharing much about myself.

My name is Nathan and i was born but not raised in Texas. i grew up in the the Caribbean and moved to canada when I was 15 or so.

After college I moved back to Texas to reconnect with family and to find a job, Houston is where I'm at now but I plan to move back to Austin a year or so.

I have a wonderful girlfriend, 2 wonderful kids and a wonderful ex-wife:laugh:

My bike build has been an extremely slow process. Growing up my dad and brother where the motorcycle riders and I'm a late-comer. I had ridden dirt-bikes as a kid but I wouldn't have called myself an experience rider when I picked up my 80' XS400 Special II at the beginning of 09'.

I had a pretty good idea what I wanted to do with it but needed to get comfy with riding again.

After about 6 months riding I laid it down and tore my MCL in my right knee, minor setback but several months later my girl's dad died in a motorcycle accident.

There has been a lot of "I told you so's" and "see what happens" and the pressure to garage the bike and forget about it has been immense.

Then in february of '10 I decided to start hacking it up much to the chagrin of the girlfriend and family. I called my buddy and we started drinking and chopping and wrenching. we went from this:
000_0364-2.jpg

to this:
Mybike1.jpg

We did it in a day and came back the next weekend with a box of parts that he had laying around. After that it looked like this:
Mybike2.jpg

We tinkered for a few more days and then back into storage it went. We took it back out, tweaked some stuff and then it looked like this:
DSC_5165.jpg

this is how it sits right now:
DSC_5283.jpg

DSC_5287.jpg

DSC_5280.jpg

nice intro, but you forgot to add that some knob of a landlord stole your carbs!

Yeah, that was a bad scene. Luckily we've moved and are in a much better space now. My buddy gave me his Mikuni's off of a nearly identical bike. So in the end all is well, for me anyway, can't comment on the evil landlord :eek:

P.S. Why won't my profile pic post in the side column like everybody else?

Back