Question about exhaust

It will cause it to loose back pressure on the engine and or a lean and hotter running bike. I would fix it or replace it so both sides have the same amount.

Interesting. I guess ill swap some better ones from my other bike. I was mainly asking because I've cleaned my carbs really good, stripped em, sprayed em, boiled em, everything looks good, A/F 3 turns out, but I still have a problem where I either have a really low idle but no rpm hang, or my idle is nice but it hangs a lot.

Last edited:
Well dang. I took off the exhausts on my other bike and there's stuff rattling around in both of those too, but there's no dents or anything on them. Is it common for things to break apart inside these mufflers? Does this mean I need to buy new mufflers, or could they be repaired at a muffler shop?

On my old Rebel, the inner exhaust broke loose from the outer wall and my brother welded it back up with a MIG. Maybe this is the same thing?

I hope its an easy fix, if I can find a friend with a welder... I'm not sure if its the baffle or the wall, I tried looking through where it connects both pipes and it kinda looks like it might pieces from the wall. Would it be bad to continue running my bike like that?

My 80 had the same problem. I put a 2-1 on it instead:thumbsup: When I cut off the mufflers just to see what was the deal it was like a flap or baffle had come loose on both sides and was all rolling around in there:confused: Seems to happen to the 80-82 mufflers a lot.

This sounds like the EXACT problem Im facing now. Down to the clean as hell carbs and still idle issues.

My exhaust has a hole, and is rattling like mad. After reading a few other posts on here, I've come up with a couple options I want to run by the pros on the Forum before I pull the trigger.

Basically, I'm looking at this 2-1 Mac Exhaust pipe on Ebay here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-XS400-XS-400-2-1-Chrome-MAC-Exhaust-Pipe-System-004-0203-/160832261272?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2572598c98&vxp=mtr#ht_1857wt_1163

Using Vlad's install readthrough here:
http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4596

And probably (?) buying this jet kit:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-XS400-XS-400-cc-Special-Twin-Custom-Carburetor-Carb-Stage-1-3-Jet-Kit-/230827422846?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35be62f47e&vxp=mtr#ht_2640wt_906

I'm not exactly sure what jetting is...I think its adjusting the fuel mix based on the bikes new requirements. But people talk about jetting like its nothing and super simple. And I would have assumed based on that that its just adjusting the idle mix screws and then you're good. Until I came across people talking about specific jet kits. It starts sounding like its going to be kinda tricky.

The mac exhaust says, you shouldnt need to change anything, but Vlad said he had to re-jet for sure. Then its just, "I re-jetted, and its all good"

Is re-jetting, just a term for adjusting your jets beyond factory standards?
I don't want to order the exhaust, get all excited that its here, install it and find out that I need to order a jet kit too.

The way Vlad made it sound was that its just an adjustment, as he said something along the lines of "I'll just wait for the next nice day and do it then" then suddenly, it was done in his next post. No mention of jet kits or anything. So was that just an idle adjustment? Im not sure.

Oh, you're still reading? Cool! I havent lost you yet. So, what do you think of all this? Should I just suck it up and order the jet kit anyways? 6Sigma makes it sound like, you should re-jet even if you arent modding just for the improved performance.

I dont want to digress from the subject too much though. The main question I want to run by everyone is, does this set up look good for a 1981 xs400? Nothing missing, nothing blatantly wrong that Im looking at? :umm:

Thanks!

Dang, that's expensive. I would like to do the 2-1 exhaust too, if I ever have enough money... the jet kits from what I've heard are pretty cheap, so wouldn't hurt just getting them anyways.

@kevingkruse - What’s wrong with your idle? It could certainly be the muffler but maybe not. You should definitely repair or replace it, though. Have you considered a local muffler shop for repair?

@ Domo - Jetting is in fact really simple. The jets are the threaded brass ‘nozzles’ inside your carbs that fuel passes thru, (or “jets” thru). According to your other thread, you’ve had the carbs off and open several times, so replacing the jets should be really easy. “Re-jetting” is simply replacing an existing jet with another that lets more - or less - fuel pass thru. On a VERY basic level, let’s just say that It’s all about balance: if you’re flowing more air thru the system with aftermarket exhaust and / or intake then you want to also increase the flow of fuel. Buy a jet kit. Just make sure it’s a set that will fit your carbs. Also, there are lots of other places to shop other than ebay. Try mikesxs.net or break out your favorite search engine. You’ll find a better deal.

My idle when at a stop will be very low, I put it that way so it doesn't hang when I blip the throttle, but I put it high enough so it won't hang too much but have around 800 rpms idle, and it will die after about 30 seconds if I don't touch the throttle. And if I start going, then come back to a stop, the idle is really high, then it hangs, so I'm always messing with the idle adjustment when riding. And my bike is hard to start first time in the day and idles super low so I have to increase the adjustment a lot to get an idle, so that's why I'm always adjusting it through my ride. And I usually always need to use starter fluid to start it in the morning, but other than that it runs pretty good when its warmed up. Hopefully a lot of this has to do with my diaphragms, I just ordered some new ones so ill find out soon.

Last edited:
Ok well I was riding yesterday and when I got home, I looked at my right exhast, the one with the hole, and noticed a crack completely around the muffler. So I switched them out with my other one, which haven't been used in probly 20 years, and when I started the bike it started smoking a lot, out of the exhaust ports and end of mufflers. This is most likely just old unburnt carbon right?

Sounds like carb boots or butterfly valve seals. I had the same issue. It's usually caused by a leak in the intake. It's super common lots of info on it.

My exaust had the same problem plus a large gaping hole where the crossover pipe is.I found another Hpipe and slapped it on.Still waiting for my buddy to weld it.I rejetted the carb to make up for the open exaust hopefully I`ll be able to get a 2 in 1 sometime.

Back