question about the choke on my carbs

njcafe84

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Just got the carbs off the bike for the first time and I'm curious about the choke lever.

When I pull on it should the 2 little pins that its clipped to move at all? I'm nut used to this kid of choke and when I pull on the lever it only moves a few mm and the pins dn't move at all. Is this normal

Its a 78 400e

The rod should move out about a half of an inch or so. Those two brass pins should move with the lever and click at half way out and at full out.

Those brass pins are the ends of the enrichener plungers. They should pull out with the knob. If not you need to disassemble the enricheners and clean them.
Leo

If you pull the choke off remember that the long rod has tiny bearings and springs behind it that will probably fly out. Work in an area that facilitates finding them!

If you pull the choke off remember that the long rod has tiny bearings and springs behind it that will probably fly out. Work in an area that facilitates finding them!

:laugh: Those things are a pain in the butt!

Actually that's not a choke, many call it that but a choke cuts off the air to make the rich mixture needed to start the engine. This is an enrichener. An enrichener adds extra fuel to richen the mix. Both richen the mix but work in different ways.
On the balls and springs, if you do lose them, replacements are easy. Get some grease fittings. Where you put the grease in, use a drill and drill out the crimp that holds the ball in. The ball and spring make good replacements.
If you get the grease fittings that have 6 mm threads you can use them in some carbs as vaccum port adapters for carb syncing.
Leo

I just got the rod loose by using some pb blaster but it doesn't seam to click at all. Just pulls out and when I let go it pulls right back in. Is this wrong? Is it supposed to click into 2 different spots as I pull it out?

It should click two times. The 77D carbs are the only ones that I know of with a single stage enrichener. Maybe the rod came off of one of those:shrug:

Where the rod goes through the carb bodies, there is supposed to be a ball and spring. The rod has detent knotches that the spring pushes the ball into to hold the rod at different positions.
Your balls and springs are missing.
Leo

It is also possible that corrosion and grime is holding your balls in a recessed position so that the spring can't push them out against the detents. My balls were pretty dirty the first time I pulled them out. After a good cleaning they work just fine.

It is also possible that corrosion and grime is holding your balls in a recessed position so that the spring can't push them out against the detents. My balls were pretty dirty the first time I pulled them out. After a good cleaning they work just fine.

Sorry to hear that:laugh: Saw that it don't click at all, you need balls or stuck easy fix.

Back