Reading speed, not speed reading

freelancethink

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased the ’83 yamaha xs400rk seca from a friend in Portland, Oregon. I gutted the seats of a 12-passenger van and drove to Los Angeles, CA. The bike had 4.4k miles on the odometer and was in a fair but dilapidated state of tune. The bike was made roadworthy then I discovered California requires used, out of state motorcycles have 7000+ miles or else they are subjected to a new vehicle tax.

I began trying to speed up the odometer, first using a drill then trying to manually advance the mileage to >7000. The problem is that I could never get the 1/10th gear to advance; hence the odometer In the end I worked on turning the 10,000, considering that I would only have to turn 1 number 1 turn to satisfy the legal requirement(the mechanical odometer now reading 14,400 miles.) I got the 0 to turn into a 1 but now the speedometer doesn’t register anything at all.

I was forceful but didn't feel anything snap. Regardless, I would like to have a function speedometer again. Ideally I would like to repair my current speedometer. If this is not possible then I would like to insert a speedometer into my stock gauge cluster.

Any suggestions on how I can repair or replace the speedometer so it will register speed and distance?

You bought a '83 motorcycle with less than 5k mileage? Did it sit in a museum for all that time or something?

If I were you I would just replace the entire thing. I have one lying around but it's in the Netherlands. It's from my '89 XS400 DOHC, but I think it's the same as the SECA model. Can you put a picture up? If you're willing to pay shipping costs I would be willing to send it to you for free, shipping costs would be something like 25 euros.

Although to be honest you might have better luck finding one closer to you, since the bulky speedo is probably the first to get chopped off in many builds. Check ebay ;)

all i need is the actual odometer itself. the internal mechanism looks like this and has the angled threaded piece that connects to the speedo cable. i'll pay whatever you say it costs to ship it to hollywood, california, usa plus a pint of your favorite beer.

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

Okay I'll compare my unit with this one tonight and if it's the same you got yourself a deal.

Okay I'll compare my unit with this one tonight and if it's the same you got yourself a deal.

Mine will be in KM's not miles of course. Again, check ebay for the whole dashboard unit, it is so bulky that that gets chopped by almost everyone. If you still want mine I'll send it np. I'll put some pics up here tonight as well so you can have a look

here are some pics of my entire thing, let me know if you're interested. You'd get the whole thing, costs the same as shipping only the odometer and otherwise I would be stuck with the rest. Sry bout the poor quality, only had my phone to take some pics.

first time uploading pics to imageshack so here goes

http://imageshack.us/g/703/201303142133111.jpg/

Hope you can access them!

Back