Replace chain Master Link?

jthiessen

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
The little circlip that holds my master link together broke when I was trying to reinstall it. Is it possible to get a replacement? Or do I need to replace the whole chain (and thus sprockets)?

I think I am just going to replace the chain.
The one that is coming off has the following markings: 5.0 SEALED, RK, 50 XSO, and MADE IN JAPAN.
It is 51 outer links long (+ Master Link) and the rear wheel is set pretty far to the back for max tension.

Any recommendations for a decent replacement?

I have the same bike as you. I purchased a parts unlimited chain. I believe 530 with 102 links. It's a decent chain and I didn't break the bank. I also replaced my sprockets at the same time. JT sprockets. Apparently it's a good idea to swap out your old for new while your replacing the chain.
The forum has tons of info on this.

Attachments

• IMG_5079.JPG
    IMG_5079.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 203
I have the same bike as you. I purchased a parts unlimited chain. I believe 530 with 102 links. It's a decent chain and I didn't break the bank. I also replaced my sprockets at the same time. JT sprockets. Apparently it's a good idea to swap out your old for new while your replacing the chain.
The forum has tons of info on this.
I will replace the sprockets with the chain. How far back is the tension set on your rear wheel? I am curious if I can get away with a 100 link chain...

Nope, you can not. I thought I had gotten the right chain, and while installing, I was worried that I had gotten short chained, because I had to get the wheel all the way up to the front of the yoke.

Back