Replacement Ignition Key

Lester

Lester
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I eventually managed to get my XS250 Special running really well and am still working on the 400SE. I must be a glutton for punishment because I have been given a XS400 dohc in exchange for a decent bottle of whisky. Not sure yet who got the best deal!!

I will surely have lots to ask of you all in the near future but at present, as the bike came with no keys, I am wondering if anyone has ever managed to find replacement keys for these bikes. I'm thinking the ignition and seat lock will use the same key. Would the key be linked to the VIN I am wondering? Any help appreciated before I have to resort to a replacement unit.

Also any tips on removing the fuel cap without distorting the tank opening would be welcome.

best wishes to all

Lester:banghead:

I have a local locksmith that just needs the four digit number off of the tumbler to make a key. You most likely have someone nearby, you might make some calls. If the bike still has all of the original locks, the ignition , fuel, seat lock should indeed all be the same key.

There are also fleabay sellers that make keys based on the tumbler number as well.

the tumbler number is stamped on the face like this:

Thanks Dean for the quick reply. I thought there may be some number stamped somewhere but it is definitely not on the face of the lock. I have searched with a magnifier under bright light to no avail. It is very possible that the lock has been replaced with an aftermarket piece during its life.
Back to the drawing board I guess.

Thanks again.

Sure, anything is possible, It could have been replaced with an aftermarket.

You might also check the other locks. The same type of stamping was used on the fuel and helmet tumblers as well. The way parts are swapped over the years, it is not uncommon to have different keys for this or that.

Back