Scratching noise at high speeds???

phate

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So I am riding the bike now and when I get up to about 40mph a scratching noise starts to happen and the faster I go the louder It gets. It's kind I hard to describe so I will post a video shortly. This didn't happen before I put the exhaust on (or maybe I didn't hear it). I shook the exhaust a bit on the bike but I don't hear anything rattling. I thought maybe adjusting the valves would help but no change. 1980 sohc special II. Please help.

Ok here is the video (more like sound clip)
I really need you guys I don't want to have to take my bike to an actual mechanic:(

I think I kinda hear it ,doesnt sound like the speedo or tac cable.Im taking a wild guess but it could be something in the clutchs.Does it shift through all the gears ok?Maybe theres too much tension on the clutch springs.

Ha I thought it was the cat:laugh:. I pulled out the speedometer cable and it actually was able to go about 1k Rpm higher before it made the noise but i put it back in and it still kept that improvement so not the cable. Just adjusted the clutch and it shifts through all gears perfectly. The chain is brand new and the sprocket was in great condition. I adjusted the chain to the proper 3/4in slack. The wheel bearing are also brand new. What can it be???:banghead:

I figured it out it was the front fender rubbing the slightly taller tire. A little fender wrestling and were good to go.:thumbsup:

Yeh I didn't even notice the scoffing on the wheel until my friend pointed it out but as soon as I saw that I knew what the problem was. @luckyeight its just pods and the stock exhaust.

Back