Spark plug Rich/Lean

arfstrom

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have hit that 600 mile mark, and changed out my plugs, So this is what I have To correct the darker one Left side, is that going to be an easy thing? or require the dismantle-ling the head? I think the Right side one looks Great!

I am trying to figure out what I am going to be doing this Winter, Otherwise It is doing really good.
Tobie

Attachments

• GEDC0294.jpg
    GEDC0294.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 470
It is hard to try and read plugs after many miles and idling.
They are close enough to not mess around much unless you know what you are doing.
DO NOT make any big swings.
KISS rule applies .

Yea, I agree, I haven't jumped on that one yet. I have to take the take off, so In my planning of doing this, I have one major leak, and one minor want, that if I am going to do it, I am going to swing a huge tree at the axe :)
1 Repair leaking clutch rod seal (3rd time)
2 replace kickstart seal
3. replace clutch plates, springs
4. separate crankcase just enough to place the clutch seal in to place
5. Replace all the case seals
6. make 1/4 turn adjustment recommend by Drewpy
7. take head apart and clean (since it is off)
8. attempt to get a .03mil shim, and the other washer that is on the otherside of the clutch sprocket. (just incase that is the .3mil washer, and I mistakenly swapped positions of it.
This can wait another month, as long as I can use the bike to save $$ on transportation costs. Apparently if I am driving WOT I spill out the oil faster than if I drive normal. (the other day the wind was pretty bad, and I noticed that I had it Wide open, and I was barely going 75mpg.

Oops :oops: so much for KISS :doh: Of coarse I will have to replace the $2.50 spark plugs, Oilfilter, oil and start it over again, to see if there is anything amiss.

Mine had pitting as well and it caused a brand new seal to start leaking pretty quick. Replaced the seal and rod and have been leak-free ever since (knock on wood).

From how Im reading the plugs the carbs are out of balance,1 plug is tad bit rich while the other is lean.My advice would be to sync those carbs

My newish plugs (i mean about a month old with a couple km on them from the odd rip around the block) are black and sooty, and the bike is running really really hot; the right side header is now blue. what is this info telling me? any thoughts are appreciated ... the carbs were cleaned when the pods were put on and re jetted a few months ago. And just so you know i have never taken the bike apart and i dont plan to until winter as my mechanic friend suggests he do for now as he thinks i will wreck things hahaha.

Last edited:
Back