spraying wheels

marmite69

XS400 Member
Reaction score
i have just shot blast my wheels and am about to spray but want to polish rims and spoke tops should i polish first or after spraying not to shore any ideas anyone:banghead:

So you want polished rims, but with painted spokes. right? I would definitely polish, and then paint for sure. When you polish, you will get shit EVERYWHERE!!!! TRUST ME!!!!

Yes, stuff gets all over when you polish, BUT, it will be easier to get a good line on the spokes if you paint first, let cure, then sand and polish the spokes.

If it were me, I would do all of my sanding first. This includes the wheels (for the polish) and the spokes (for the paint). I would then go ahead and polish the rims and clean everything up. Next, I'd wipe the spokes down with some sort of auto-body grease remover, then tape up the rims and paint away! That's just me though.

It will be difficult to get a good tape line because masking tape does not like to stick to freshly buffed surfaces. Also, my understanding is you want to polish the edges of the spokes, making it very difficult to get a good tape line on the spokes if you buff first. If you paint first, you can file/ sand a very nice straight edge on the spokes and then buff. I would definitely sand the entire wheel first, mask off the surfaces to be buffed, paint the wheels, let the paint cure a few days, then mask off the painted surfaces, then final sand and buff the polished surfaces. This is how the pros do it. having said that, there is definitely more than one way to skin a cat.

It will be difficult to get a good tape line because masking tape does not like to stick to freshly buffed surfaces. Also, my understanding is you want to polish the edges of the spokes, making it very difficult to get a good tape line on the spokes if you buff first. If you paint first, you can file/ sand a very nice straight edge on the spokes and then buff. I would definitely sand the entire wheel first, mask off the surfaces to be buffed, paint the wheels, let the paint cure a few days, then mask off the painted surfaces, then final sand and buff the polished surfaces. This is how the pros do it. having said that, there is definitely more than one way to skin a cat.
I use 3M tape, and haven't had any problems with sticking to polished aluminum. That's what I used for the side covers on my KZ440. I do see your point though, and I think either way would produce the same results in the end. You put it perfectly man!!....there is more than one way to skin a cat. That's why this forum is so great; different people with different methods, but all who are willing to help others out.

cheers some good tips as usual, this site is what its all about, all politicians should be bikers u listen to what every one has to say and make a decision and go with it the world would be a better place if we all rode bikes and hear ends the surmon. cheers:bike:

I polished mine first, then used masking tape.

Its just really boring to do

final polish with Peeks or autosol when paint dry.

Back