Tachometer problems

xryanedgex

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hey, so this is my first post on this forum, any help I can get will be greatly appreciated. I am very new to motorcycles, I usually have a mechanic do most work for me because I don't know how...but I feel it's time for me to learn how to do some of these things myself. Here is my problem of the day...

..I recently had my speedo/tac replaced with 2.5in mini's (1:5 RATIO) on my 1976 Yamaha XS360. They both worked fine when I first got it back, but recently I noticed the tach jumping a lot around 5 and 6 rmp. I went for a 149 mile ride yesterday and halfway through I noticed that the tach was only reaching 1 - 3 rpm and was just jumping all over between the 3 numbers. My speedo was working properly. I was going beween 65-70 mph so I know there is some problem for sure with this. What could be causing this? Another possibly unrelated (or realated) question, but I feel like I may have lost some power in 1-3 gear, I feel like I am having to shift up way quicker than before... It just feels like it does't pull like it first did in the lower gears from first getting it out of the shop. Any help I could get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Ryan

Last edited:
Back