Tire considerations

sharps09

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I am thinking of running some Pirelli MT90 Scorpion AT 110/80S-18 Tires but I would have to run both with that size, What do you guys think?

Ever done it, and will I be able to turn?

I think a 110 front is too wide, maybe resulting in poor handling?
And will it fit your fender/mudguard?

I looked around a bit before finally settling on a size. The stock is 90/90 in front and 100/90 in the rear I believe. I went 100/90 up front and 110/90 in the rear. People were saying 120/90 and above will hit the chain guard in the rear, but I don't remember anyone mentioning clearance problems up front on larger tires, but 110/90 probably won't fit under the stock front fender. People have gone bigger; much bigger, but you might need to do modifications to make it work. In NH we have strict inspection rules which include fenders and chain guards, but that may not be an issue at all for you.

I personally hate a fat tire in the front....most handle like junk. The look is awesome, don't get me wrong, but looks are only one part of the equation. I run a 130 (18") in the rear, and a 100 (21") in the front.....handles like it's on rails.

When I bought my '80 XS400 last June, it came with a 100/90x18 Chen Shin on the front and a 120/90x16 Duro on the rear. No clearance problems but, having experienced Chen Shin, Duro and Kenda tires on several scooters, I am less than thrilled with their handling. In the U.S. it is not easy to find a matched front/rear set of the proper sizes for our older bikes from the same tire manufacturer. My initial plan was to go with Shinko touring but no go on the matched set. Ended up with IRC brand touring at considerably more money but did get a free S&H deal. I have yet to mount them but expect an improvement in handling.

Some have reported rubbing with a 130 rear and some do not have that issue. My son's '81 has a 130/90x16 Dunlop 404 on the rear and it clears fine all around.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys, I think I'm gonna run some Kenda K761 with the same demensions.

hey again.. i'm looking into getting some vintage firestone replica's and i'm not too sure what the biggest i can get is so i've come for help!
right now my heritage special has a 100/90 18 in the front and a 130/100 (maybe 130/90? not sure) 16 on the back.. if anyone knows what the biggest size in those tires i can get is or if you need more info let me know! thanks

Vintage tires sidewalls are wider than the thread. So while 5inchers thread is under 130mm the sidewalls can be over 135mm.

Thanks for the list Drew P, I tried calling a local shop but they didn't seem to know how to find their ass with a flashlight and a map. If you look at my build thread you'll see my inspiration, Icon's Snake Charmer, they have a xs400 front wheel and RD400 rear, running the same tire. They did say it only had 12 degrees turning radius but it still looks wicked.

If you look at my build thread you'll see my inspiration, Icon's Snake Charmer, they have a xs400 front wheel and RD400 rear, running the same tire. They did say it only had 12 degrees turning radius but it still looks wicked.

I could be wrong, but in my opinion that had nothing to do with the tire but with the mount for the headlight.

Check the video at 2.51

I picked up my brand new dunlop's from Motovan.com, they have exact fit matches for bikes back to the late 60's early 70's no problem. Not as wide of selection but a lot of really solid tires in matched pairs.

Isigt I didn't even catch that, your right too, it was mounted to the stem and not the forks. Wish I could find out exactly what the rim sizes were and tire sizes.

Hey Drewpy I just realized this but my rims are frt 1.85 x 18 AND RR 2.15 x 18 but my manual says they should both be 3.00 x 18 WTF? Is it just wrong.

no. tyres are 90/90 x19 and 110/90 x 18 BT45 bridgestones

tracker wears 3:50 x 18 and 4:00 x 18 Kendo tyres

buying tires tomorrow, Do I need to buy rim strips for the MAg rims? And what size tubes do I get for the 110/80/18?

I'm pretty sure you won't need rim strips. They just keep the backs of the spokes (on a spoked rim) from ripping into the tube. But I've been wrong before....lol

Back