Tracker Seatpan Mounting

thekrnel

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
How have you guys mounted your fiberglass seat pan? Do you make a metal seat pan first? Just looking for some ideas

This morning I made some mounting hardware for my brat/chopper/whatever that uses the original tank mount. I forgot to take pictures but I will update the thread tomorrow.
http://www.xs400.com/forum/showpost.php?p=130595&postcount=15
Basically I drilled a 45° hole in some 4mm steel rod and welded a threaded piece of round stock in. I had to shorten the hole of the tank mount a bit.
The Seat can now be fastened with two wingnuts, one in the front and one between the upper shock mounts.

Thanks for the info. I have some more disassembly and the I will lay something out and fab it up. I'll post pictures when I get that far.

This is the front seatpan mount, the threaded rod is welded by 135° to the flat stock.
Screws will be replaced with rivets, this was just for the mock-up

17880726gs.jpg

17880727kj.jpg

Of course, this will only work if you don't need the original rear tank mount for the tank - or if you replace the screw that was used for mounting the tank with a hollow threaded rod. That might also work.

I made a custom metal seat pan for our cafe project. On top of the stock frame under the original seat are an approximately 1.5" long by width of frame tubing squared off metal "tunnel" welded to the frame. On the underside of the seat I located where these "tunnels" would be and welded a 3/4" x 3/4" piece of bar stock on both sides of the seat. On top of those I welded a 3/4" x 2" bar stock. This dropped the 3/4" x 2" bar stock to exactly the right heigth to slip under the frame "tunnels" on each side and secure the front of the seat. In the rear I located where the press formed sheet metal "connector" between both sides of the frame (right above the fuse box IIRC) met the seat pan and drilled a hole thru the center of it. I located where that hole met the seat pan and welded a nut to the seat pan at that point. When you slip bar stock at the front of the seat under the tunnels, the rear bolt slips thru the drilled hole. I drilled a hole in the plastic fender liner for access to the bolt and use a medium length 1/4" extension to thread a nut thru the plastic fender liner onto the bolt and tighten it up. It is very strong and secure. I wish I had pictures to show you.

Back