Tried and Tested TIRES

Mike Foreman

1980 XS400 cafe
Reaction score
I recently ordered a 32 tooth rear sprocket for the bike, and plan on increasing speed. I dont want to trust my dry-rotted and cracked Taiwan made tires over a 100 for long periods of time. Would like to hear your feedback on different tire types you guys have had experience with.

Rear sprockets, front sprockets and chain ratios.
http://www.jtsprockets.com/52.0.html?&L=0&sel_uid=6099&p=
To get down to 32, you'll probably have to get custom made. You'll lose acceleration, might take a while to get to a hundred. There's been a few threads on the forum about rear sprockets, increasing topend speed with lower gear ratios. I think HoughMade is running a lower tooth sprocket.

Yeah, right now it still has the stock 16 front and 37 rear sprockets, which is great for the back roads, but in top gear on the straights I have to stay at about 1/3 throttle to keep it from red-lining at 9,000. I should be recieving the new sprocket next Tuesday (had it custom made from a guy in califonia)

Another good brand tire is the IRC - made in Japan. I recently installed a set on my XS400 but can't comment on the speeds you mention. Drewpy likes the Bridgestone BT45 tire.

Back