turn signals not blinking w/ HF stop/tail light-video included for better description

jmj166

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello, I connected my rear turn signals and a harbor Freight waterproof trailer LED stop/tail light. the stop/tail light works great and works with the rear break, i did not have to add any resistors or anything like that. When you look at the tail light closely you can see that there was resistors already built into it, i'm assuming this was done so that no modifying would be required, but when i connected the turn signals there isn't any flashing of the turn signals, they just stay on. although you can't see it, the front signals light up as well so they are not burned out. I included a video just in case my description wasn't clear enough.

So my question is what do i need to do to get my turn signals working again.

You don't need any additional resistors on the stop/tail because all it has to do is light up. The resistors that are already built into the lights are just there to limit the current to what the LEDs need to light.

However, the original style flasher needs a certain amount of current draw to work. I apologize if this is to simplistic. A standard flasher works just like a Christmas tree light flasher. As the electricity flows, a bi-metal strip heats up and because the two metals have different expansion rates, it bends away from the contact, breaking the circuit, turning off the light. With the electricity not flowing, the strip cools down and bends back to the original position, touching the contact and turning on the light. The whole thing starts over and over and over.

The problem is that the LEDs do not pull enough electricity through to cause the strip to heat up enough to bend. The 2 solutions are additional resistors to force more electricity to be pulled through or a replacement flasher that works electronically and does not rely on a bi-metal strip.

so just to make sure...they don't flash because LED's are still in the complete circuit which is what is still causing the discrepancy with the turn signals even though the turn signals are not wired together with the tail/stop light?

so as far as a flasher is concerned, would i need one of the "specially made" ones that is made for the inclusion of LED's into older circuits that still use incandescents or will any generic flasher be sufficient?

thanks for the feedback. I guess seeing the resistors built in the stop/tail light casing threw me off b/c most LED stop/tail lights i've seen don't have any smaller resistors that are visible so i wasn't sure if those resistors were making up for the drop in required power for the light

I guess I misunderstood and I can't tell from the video- your turn signals use normal bulbs? I thought you had LEDs. If youhave regular turn signal bulbs, I can see they are not stock, perhaps they do not draw enough electricity. Stock turn signals draw 27 watts if yours draw much less (even with regular bulbs) they may not be drawing enough. the stop/tail should not have anything to do with it. Are your front turn signals hooked up? If not, they need to be for any of them to flash.

haha, yeah, i guess i should have spoke in the video to clear it up. the new stop/tail light is LED, but the front and rear turn signals are incandescent. The rear turn signals are not stock, they were a cheap pair off of ebay, i'm not sure how much they draw, i'm sure i could try to check with a voltmeter when i get home. The turn signals that were "stock" on the bike when i got it are two different signals, i remember them working though, they just looked pretty dumb cause their both different shapes and lengths. I have not taken the new ones apart to see what type of bulb they use, i'll check them out when i get off work and will take pictures if i have any additional questions

much appreciation, thanks.

Before you dig into anything too much, hook front signals up if they are not. Not having them hooked up is the same as running 1/2 wattage bulbs. It will not draw enough.

Back