Unknown Starter Issue

SilverTalon

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
What started this issue is when I stalled out from overheating in traffic (first time for everything). I managed to kick start the bike after waiting for a while to get home.

Today I tried using the starter and it could not turn the engine more than once. I was able to hear clicking while I held the button down, and it seemed like the batter drained in the process.

I pulled out the battery and checked the levels, topped off two sides that were a little low. I put the battery back in, still no go with the starter, but I have no issues kickstarting.

My first thought was the battery was being drained by the starter, but could it be that the starter is overheating when attempting to use? Not really sure what I should be looking for.

Did you charge the battery after you topped it (low amp charge, 2 or less)? Do you have a multimeter to check charging system on bike, should be around 13v at idle, to 14 or so at higher RPM.

I haven't done much battery work so I will be eaten alive by this answer.

I don't have a charger so I didn't charge it after. Using a light to see the levels, only the far left and far right needed a little bit of water (the level was between the "high" and "low" level, so just put in enough to make it to the top)
No multimeter but I can probably get one

To add to the above, do you know the history of the battery? When they begin to fail, they may show 12v when tested with a voltmeter but have no depth to the charge. Might have enough amps to run the engine when kick started but not enough to turn the starter.

Check out the simple before getting into the more complex and expensive.

To add to the above, do you know the history of the battery? When they begin to fail, they may show 12v when tested with a voltmeter but have no depth to the charge. Might have enough amps to run the engine when kick started but not enough to turn the starter.

Check out the simple before getting into the more complex and expensive.

The battery was new in June. The person I bought from bought a new battery and put it in.

Get yourself a multimeter and a good cycle battery maintainer. You will need the charger to maintain the battery for the months you don't ride it. If left to discharge on standing, you will loose a new battery in less than a year. You can get a replacement battery cheap at Walmart for $35. A better one is a Yuasa+ but is more expensive. That one is made internally more like an AGM battery but is still a liquid acid battery.

So I brought it to work today without any real issues. Borrowed a multimeter.
Everything off - 11.6
Engine on - 12.4
Engine running at 4k RPM - 12.7
Attempting to use the electric starter - 10, then 8, then 6 (holding button down)

Kick start is consistent now.I may have been able to use the electric starter, but after a few turns, it started to strain.

If it's charged it should get up to 12.7 Volts while under no load, you should definitely put that baby on a charger. You can get trickle chargers pretty cheap, but you should take the battery out of the bike if you charge it for more than an hour, just don't store it on concrete while its out of the bike. Check the voltage the next few weeks too, if it goes back down that low you need a new one (unless your charging system is as lousy as mine). I have had a new battery that died within a few weeks, so it happens to everyone at some point.

As a follow up, the other day i was riding home and stalled out again. Finally managed to get it running again, and stalled before getting home. I managed to walk it to a Fire station, where they jumped the bike for me to get home.

Went and got a trickle charger yesterday. Charged for an hour tonight but it wasn't completed. Going to finish up tomorrow morning before going out.

Back