Vapor blasting question for anyone who's had it done

njcafe84

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I wanna get my wheels vapor blasted for that satin raw metal look and wanted to see if anyone could get me an idea of what it might cost me.

I don't mean to be a jerk face or anything, but the best thing you can do is call the local place you intend to use and get an estimate; it certainly would be the most direct way to find out. Prices vary a lot.

I'd probably strip the wheels of paint myself first just to see what they look like. A can of aircraft remover is only a few bucks. If nothing else it will save them even more labor.

Thanks bcware but my local place isn't open today and since I'm sitting right next to my sleeping newborn son I thought I could quietly get an idea from someone on the forum

Don't disturb the baby - those things can explode.

You will have to replace the bearings when blasting so factor in that extra cost too.

Posted via Mobile

I would check yamaha for the bearings and seals. If they don't have them google the parts numbers and see what comes up.

Get bearings from a bearing supplier. You need the international number.

Something like 6020 do a site search on this subject

I had a hard time finding the universal numbers for my '78 with drum brakes all around. The best way to find out was to take the wheels off. I'm not at home now, but I wrote down the numbers in my repair manual last time I was in there.

I ended up ordering my bearings from a supplier on ebay located in the UK.

I took my bearings into a bearing supply shop & they had plenty of them in stock.
Keep your old bearings as they are handy to use as a drift when fitting the new bearings.
I put the new bearings in a Ziploc bag in the freezer for a day to help them slip into the hub.

Posted via Mobile

Back