What did you do with your XS today?

Put it all together a few days a go and went for a drive. Was really shocked how well it started up and ran. A few problems have arose, but after my first drive I really have a second wind to get back elbows deep!

Replaced my Hella 500 driving lights with 27W LED spot lights. The LED spots are slightly smaller, slightly heavier, and don't have the range that the Hella's have. But, the LED's use almost half the power, have good spill to the sides while still throwing lots of light down the road, and are instant on/off.

What is the manufacture date on the vin tag? If it is 78 it is a 79. If it is 77 then it's a 78. They used the 2L0 for the 78 and 79 E/F models.

I rolled the chassis without tank, carbs, battery box, filters, etc. outside and with Simple Green in hand a a small scrub brush, cleaned up the chassis, under carriage, engine....and everything else I could...at times lying on wet asphalt. I then dried the bike off with a leaf blower. This morning, I painted some of the frame.

...this little "spiff and shine" turned into something.

Well since all I have been doing lately is either working on the bike or the blazer I decided to was a play day and went fishing on our big river.All I caught was 7-8lb trash fish called sheephead and a lure.

(What did you do with your XS today?):wink2: Bought more parts for future work on the xs.

My new parts arrived for my '78!

full

Now if I can finish up the '64 Honda C102 I am building for my Sister-in-law, I can get back to finishing my bike!

MORE parts??!!

I thought you already owned half of the world's produced xs400 spare parts :yikes:

:laugh:

:laugh: I wish:D I picked up some new fork seals for the 79. I don't think they have ever been changed and they are just stating to leave a little ring around the tube after a ride.

Picked up new sprockets and chain (going to 17-38 instead of stock 16-35), hope to get them on this weekend.

Are you looking to raise the rpm's or lower them? Because what you want to put on will raise them from stock.

Are you looking to raise the rpm's or lower them? Because what you want to put on will raise them from stock.

Yup, want to raise the rpm's so it's a bit quicker around town and on the back roads. I don't do a whole lot of highway driving anyway. Plus it should help a bit when carrying a passenger.

This combo will give me a ratio of 2.24, up from the stock 2.19, so it probably won't be a big difference.

If you go with a 16-38 it will raise the rpm's about 750. The 17-38 only about 250.

If you go with a 16-38 it will raise the rpm's about 750. The 17-38 only about 250.

Good to know. I think I'll give the 17-38 a shot since I've bought them. When I change them I'll see what shape my 16t front sprocket is in, and I can always put it back on and re-tension the chain to see what setup I prefer.

When replacing sprockets always do them in pairs. Never use a old one with a new one. You will wear out a chain much faster.

Back