What did you do with your XS today?

A potential buyer came to look at the Maxim the other day - very knowledgeable and nice guy.
Bike ran like crap for him and, luckily in a way, his 34" inseam made the bike too uncomfortable for him anyway. But he stayed around talking to me about it and we determined one cylinder was cold. He suggested starting with the plugs, but feared a carb float or a coil if it wasn't that. :yikes:
The hot plug was normal and cold plug was soaking wet with fuel (good news re: the carb float). And, there was a small piece of black carbon bridging the gap. :wtf:
Once the plug was cleared, dried and swapped, everything was back to normal and the bike runs great again.

Now, back to my search for a buyer wearing 30" jeans with $850 in a pocket.

Today I opened my Email and im reading through only to find out the diodes I ordered last week will be delayed till July 9th.:wtf:Guess I got to call this place boats.net and find out why:shrug:I swear my luck ordering things online lately has been crap.:banghead:

On this subject. Could one add a ground wire to the empty hole in this pic? This is the right side switch box front half. I will do this when I get to that point so I don't have to sand paint off my new bars.

im not sure about that. plus with some coarse grit, sanding doesnt take very long. Plus it would be even easier to sand them off the bike when you get the new bars.

arfstromI found my head, It was hiding in plain sight. I didnt look in the red box marked garbage can liners

Still funny enough to share! Hopefully it will be running today or tomorrow, now that I got steam going!!!!

That is funny Im glad you found the head for your bike,but don't you hate that?Lay something down or put it somewhere then you go to find out wtf where is it then bam there it is.:laugh:

My family was shocked that I admitted it to the web, I told them others people need to smile too! Expecially when I know I have a screw loose! Speaking of that, I think I found a Nut eariler today :haha::laugh: I didn't get a price, so I added a extra buck!

I will include an extra nut for ya:D So now you will have two encase you loose one.

I was at the meeting of oldies. It was nice, sun and fun

Attachments

• DSCF6538.jpg
    DSCF6538.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 220
  • DSCF6539.jpg
    DSCF6539.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 222
Put new jets in carb, prepared tank for sealer and attempted to put the air box in. Anyone provide some insight here? 82 Seca, it's looking like in need to come in under the seat and over the swing arm?

I thought that fancy motor slides forward, and down, so you can reconnect up the back half. Don't mind me, I am just jealous.
Tobie

If my memory serves me (and it often doesn't!), the shock has to be disconnected from the swingarm, the rear wheel removed, and with the swingarm dropped down one can get the airbox in from the rear. Just don't bolt it in until after you have the rubber tubes to the carbs attached.

Pods are so much easier! ;)

im not sure about that. plus with some coarse grit, sanding doesnt take very long. Plus it would be even easier to sand them off the bike when you get the new bars.

I was just thinking a rust spot preventative! I had to sand the powder coat of the bars on my other bike for the throttle sleeve to move freely and didn't like that.

I thought that fancy motor slides forward, and down, so you can reconnect up the back half. Don't mind me, I am just jealous.
Tobie
Not sure if that trick would work enough to get the air box in and out, but it does get the engine away from the frame somewhat. Might be worth a try before starting a wholesale dis-assembly.

With the bike on the centre stand and a jack placed under the engine, remove all but one of the engine mount bolts. Then the jack can be lowered and the engine will pivot around the one bolt and away from the frame.

I tried the whole engine pivoting thing with a jack on my Maxim 400 and with all but on of the lower bolts removed it wouldn't budge. It only moved down about 1 inch. Still helped with putting the carbs back on though.

Now that you mention it, I think that trick was for getting carbs on and off and maybe for shimming valves (not sure). Sorry if it doesn't help with the airbox.

I believe I read about it on one of Bentwrench's build threads.

yea it helps for those things, but it's not really necessary. Pretty easy jobs without pivoting the engine :)

the airbox has to go in through the back unfortunately. I know a lot of people just saw it out when they switch to pods because it's too much work to take it out the right way.

I've been thinking about switching to pods but the bikes is running amazing so I don't want to mess with perfection, if you know what I mean.

yea just go with the original air box, only thing you need to invest is a bit of time and elbow grease

Back