What did you do with your XS today?

So I replaced the points ignition with the electronic ignition plate from mikes. It was an easy enough install, (would've been easier had the PO known how to keep wiring clean). But after that my timing was slightly off and my bike had no power... My timing chain has some obvious wear so I decided to tear it all down again..

I found the thread that has the service manual link, I've been scum mind through hoping to find some sign that I won't need to split the case but if I remember correctly you have to to replace the timing chain, is this correct?

Furthermore I'm pretty excited to open it all the way back up again... I have some new goodies I'm excited to install. Bigger pilots for the carb, new 17t front sprocket, I got my new rear tire on, shit when I get done this time it might actually be done... I just wish I had gotten to this point before winter was upon us... =/

Lou: My brother's been texting me sunny photos from TO to taunt me, hope some of that heads your way. Yesterday I took my little sister for her first motorcycle ride, she borrowed the fiancee's gear. Today I rode to work in 2 C (that's 35 F). I need thicker gloves.

does anyone know how to ID hardware from the Yamaha Part Number?

need 4 hex bolts to re-attached the front fender...

Part number: 90101-08691-00

25-35mm I am not sure without taking one off. I would slide a screw driver in one of the holes and measure it just to be sure.

I found out that on a 78 the ignition switch has a lock feature and if you turn the key just past the lock setting this turns on the brake light... didn't know that until I actually did it... and drained the battery

pappydeelaa: did that to myself a couple of times before I figured out what I was doing wrong. It's a parking light, good if you're stopping for a bit and want to increase your visibility.

Got my motor opened up last night, all the way down to the bottom case. I replaced the cam chain and started reassembly... Then snapped an underside case bolt >_< gotta hit the hardware store and get some hardware, then as soon as my gaskets are in I oughta be right as rain!

I put my ride away for about 2 weeks because of some 16-hour work days that weren't letting me ride in daylight. I pulled the bike out from the garage a few days ago and noticed that it smelled like gasoline all over. Found that my petcock had developed a leak in the outlet screw and had snapped off along the lower threads :wtf: I had to drain out 10L of gasoline into a bunch of totally unsafe, empty liquor bottles to store in my garage.

Today I ordered a new screw, but will have to figure out how to route the fuel line as it's a 90 degree screw where my old one was 180 degrees. My biggest concern was someone going into the garage, finding 10L of liquor bottles full of gas, and thinking I was planning to vandalize something with a bunch of Molotov cocktails.

Gas is now back in the tank and I'm waiting on my new part.

Today I replaced my ignition switch because last night my keys somehow vibrated their way out of the stock switch, fell onto the freeway, and disappeared forever. I've lost the steering lock but having a bike I can actually ride and not feel worried that my keys are going to vanish on is worth it.

Sounds like you PO installed a replacement ignition switch from General Motors.
Luckily there are no computers, power steering/brakes to shut down on an xs400.

Adjusted the steering bearings to see if that is where the clunk under hard braking is coming from. Then wired in a relay and installed a car horn in an effort to make more noise. ;) Might also see if I can get the lights to flash with the horn. Too many distracted drivers have been trying to get me lately....

Been riding it, every chance I get. It's been 25 years since I rode, I was feeling a little nervous about riding in rush hour traffic, after all I'm not 18 anymore. It all comes back, just need to watch closely for the idiots! It's been fun riding again.

Last weekend I finally put bike back together after welding cracked engine mount. That also included new 17t sprocket, new brass bushings, and new o-rings in carbs. Sunday took her for a ride, all the way down to Atlantic City to see AVP tournament... good >3hr ride - made it back in one piece, very happy that I can trust the bike for longer rides :)

I did something I haven't done in a long time now that the truck is finished!,I actualy did some work on it.I had to reinstall the clutch lever and the wire assembly through the head light and connected.
STep two I took and reinstalled the head light and its cover.Tomorrow I may rewire a relay connection if Im not working on my RED S10 blazer.

Welcome back Scorpy!!!!!

Attempted to find funky noise, no serious luck. Seems like a tik with the valves. I might up date my thread later, Removed top head, nothing wrong there, removed stator housing, nothing wrong there. Coils look like they were in a wind storm, so I blew out what I could. I suppose I should re-do the oil change (I changed it 500 miles ago) oh well. I had my step daughter make the stator housing gasket out of cereil box.

Right plug looks good, (white ashy) left plug looks too rich (dirty black)

Back