What did you do with your XS today?

Today I put band-aids on a couple of problems that cropped up on my last ride. My stock master cylinder was shot when I got my bike last winter so I replaced it with an eBay special with a remote reservoir. It works fine, but the reservoir was held in place with a little aluminum bracket and on Saturday night when I hit a stiff bump it cracked. Today I replaced it with a steel bracket that should be less susceptible to vibration damage, but I'm probably going to replace the MC with one with a screw-down reservoir cap anyway. That bump also somehow knocked my bar-end rear-view mirror out of its mounting--not out of the handlebar, mind, the bracket is still there, but the mirror stem itself came apart--so I put the stock rearview back on. Visibility out of it is worse than the cheapo Chinese bar-end mirror! My gas cap seal finally bit it too, so to keep gasoline off my pants until the bike's parked and I can replace it properly I cut a plumbing gasket to size and stuck it between the seal flange and the cap shell. Hopefully it lasts until the nice weather inevitably ends.

Installed the rejetted carbs and the bike is running better than ever. I actually went for a short ride and it felt good. The stubby reverse cone mufflers sound sweet.

Posted via Mobile

Today I put band-aids on a couple of problems that cropped up on my last ride. My stock master cylinder was shot when I got my bike last winter so I replaced it with an eBay special with a remote reservoir. It works fine, but the reservoir was held in place with a little aluminum bracket and on Saturday night when I hit a stiff bump it cracked. Today I replaced it with a steel bracket that should be less susceptible to vibration damage, but I'm probably going to replace the MC with one with a screw-down reservoir cap anyway. That bump also somehow knocked my bar-end rear-view mirror out of its mounting--not out of the handlebar, mind, the bracket is still there, but the mirror stem itself came apart--so I put the stock rearview back on. Visibility out of it is worse than the cheapo Chinese bar-end mirror! My gas cap seal finally bit it too, so to keep gasoline off my pants until the bike's parked and I can replace it properly I cut a plumbing gasket to size and stuck it between the seal flange and the cap shell. Hopefully it lasts until the nice weather inevitably ends.

Be careful when using non-fuel rubber parts. The rubber can break down quickly and make a mess of the fuel system:doh:

I use two o-rings. One that fits tight around the cap and the next size up to go around that. Sometimes they fall out of place when you open the lid to get gas but you just put them back when you close it. I have used this set-up for over a year now and it's working great. Not bad for a $0.10 fix.

rode a bunch this weekend, rode great Friday and Saturday... but Sunday it ran like crap, stumbled leaving from stops and my rear brake is dragging..

Be careful when using non-fuel rubber parts. The rubber can break down quickly and make a mess of the fuel system:doh:

Thanks for the reminder, I'll be sure to check it when I next fuel up. I'm replacing the entire cap at some point this winter because I have no key for the one that's on there. The original seal is still in place, so barring the seepage I was seeing when the tank was brim-full there shouldn't be too much fuel reaching the stopgap.

Took the battery out and brought inside,going to bring it indoors to tinker with over winter.Got rid of my storage unit so it has to reside somewhere else over the w season.

Any chance you would have a picture you could post? For the life of me, I can't visualize ...

Here you go. Someday, I will glue them down and make it a little more permanent. Right after procrastinators anonymous meeting... tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20141015_181232.jpg
    20141015_181232.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 217
I soldered in a new OEM headlight to diy wiring from the PO. Cleared a metal fragment from an air passage in the carbs and secured the left muffler so it wont fall off : P

Mounted the PO's non-stock mufflers and stuffed some stainless dish scrubbers in the ends.
The baffles had rusted out so hopefully that'll dampen the sound a little.
20141016_181139 (Medium).jpg

Nice long ride in the unseasonably warm weather, lots of beautiful sunshine. Checked my $3 gas cap hack when I stopped to fill up and found that it seems to be holding up nicely. There's a bead of gas-safe Permatex between the original gasket and my makeshift and I suspect that's helping repel any stray splashes.

So I'm a complete newb at everything motorcycle and I need help! I thought I would be able to rebuild my 78 xs400 easily but sadly I've faced a couple setbacks and it isn't as easy as I thought it would be.

First off, one of my sparkplugs' head is broken off leaving the bottom half totally stuck in. What makes matters worst is that I had this problem with both but I managed to get one off. I used a screwdriver for the first one but I stripped the second one so bad trying to turn it that the surface is all banged up on the outer rim. I tried spraying wd-40 and carb cleaner on it but I still can't get it off.

Also, I called the local cycle salvage and they have few parts available leaving me to order entirely off of the net! I took out the ignition because my key broke off in my gas tank lock and I needed a new one.
If anyone has any advice on how I can get this spark plug base out as well as how I can get the bike started, PLEASE SHARE!!!!

one of my sparkplugs' head is broken off leaving the bottom half totally stuck in.
So there is no chance of having the original socket head availalbe to get another socket onto it???? if its the left side one, you might get more room, if you can get the Pick up cover off the top there. Normally you don't need to remove it, but if you need that extra milimeter, that will help.
ave few parts available leaving me to order entirely off of the net!
yup, our bikes our over 30 years old. Yamaha want you to by that shiny new bike. where as a little TLC, we can still run ours.
I took out the ignition because my key broke off in my gas tank lock and I needed a new one.
If anyone has any advice on how I can get this spark plug base out as well as how I can get the bike started, PLEASE SHARE!!!!
Ebay, partsnmore, Ebay UK, study some german,
http://www.partsnmore.com/parts/yamaha/xs400 you should be able to find your model of bike on side bar.

New users.... once your signed in, go to the Control panel, click on signature, add a signature, for future bike ID. Then you will not need to create a new post, you bike model will be there, (put the 3 digit code from the frame/insurance card) in there.

From the garage spot, create a new thread, and we can get people with the same type of bike will chip in and help. This didn't get 172 pages for new issues, this is a great spot to share something cool that we did,or even to remind others, I Changed my oil oil, might reminded another persons to "Hay, I should do that too." (it okay to put issues in here, its nicer to have a specific thread for actual problem issues, and hopefully the resolution.

Welcome to the Group, We would love to see a new thread on you, just into your self, and Add pics to the thread specific, (unless your really want to brag!, (thats fine too, everyone loves a good Pic!) To add a pic, on the Web version, Click "Go Advance", Click the paperclip, and that will allow you to add attachments files.

First off, one of my sparkplugs' head is broken off leaving the bottom half totally stuck in. What makes matters worst is that I had this problem with both but I managed to get one off. I used a screwdriver for the first one but I stripped the second one so bad trying to turn it that the surface is all banged up on the outer rim. I tried spraying wd-40 and carb cleaner on it but I still can't get it off.
If you've damaged the threads you'll need to chase them with a 14mm spark plug tap to repair them.
You might be able to chase the outer threads with broken piece still in, and then somehow rotate it out along the repaired threads.
Or, what I think is the more likely option, you can take take apart the engine, removing the head to grip the inside of the spark plug and rotate it all the way inside the engine until it falls out.
At this point you'll probably want to replace some gaskets, check piston/piston ring clearances, and maybe some oil seals.

If you do all this, get the service manual and maybe a Haynes manual. Read the steps involved first, then do them as instructed.

If you only take the head off it's not that scary.

After the local bike shop ordered the wrong air filters I bought some Uni filter foam and recovered my old ones. It sticks out a bit more than the stock material but I think it will still clear the filter box and allow air flow.
20141019_172902 (Medium).jpg

Also sprayed the inside of the indicator lights housing white. The old paper had warped and looked bad through the colours.
20141019_175920 (Medium).jpg

Looks kind of gross from the inside but the paint can't be seen when the housing is installed.

Replaced front brakes on my XS400 special II (cleaned and oiled everything while at it).
I did it because breaking was making noise, but surprisingly old pads didn't have much wear.

I didn't read how to properly adjust levers before I started, so it was a bit of a puzzle. So here is how I did it:

First, I disconnected second lever and tightened cable until first brake shoe started to brake. Then I tightened connecting rod until second shoe also got to brake (tightened the rod until second shoes added same braking power as the first one, kinda doubled by feel ). Then un-tightened cable until wheel was free to rotate again.

Sounds its like the clutch. and even the checking the valves.
Tested Valves I had Compression of 120 Left/150 Right. This time I was able to get the engine to run on one plug, which was able to get the compression #'s.

Then I did the oil job, and chased done one more leak. Apparently when I had the oil filter cover powdered coated, I needed to clean the edge. the CH6003 filters which included the o-ring, I noticed last year I needed to get a bigger o-ring. I fixed that by sanding it down a little bit, so I did that with the fine grit sandpaper, and got the paint off the edge. So far after first trip, no leak. (now for the cam gasket leak) Still evaulatine to see if it has stopped yet.

You should do a compression test with the motor cold and NOT running:wink2: Turn the motor over and hold the throttle wide open. Disconnecting a plug wire and running the bike can damage the TCI.

Back