What did you do with your XS today?

New front marker lights showed up today in the Post, along with New O-ring Chain and EMGO ignition switch.:thumbsup:

Guys this is the "What did you do to your XS today" Not the"What did you do or not do Discussion thread.." Just saying...

Whoops! Okay, got some of that expensive Eastwood clear coat to finish the Riven Cafe. Better?

Parked the XS400, put the battery on the tiny charger. Thanked the bike for the quality service provided over the winter months. Promised to buy and install, new fork seals and tyres before next winter.

Unkle Crusty*

Tested fitment of my handmade prototype H4 Bi-Xenon headlight conversion made from my old burned out sealed-beam and routed a wiring harness/components. It fits in the bucket and lights up, so...mission accomplished? Still a little tweaking to do until I'm happy with it.

full

This is sortof an experiment to see if I've figured out how to post pics here. Other members such as Volcomskater have requested pics of the above modification detailing a means of making my own clip on handlebars. More pics will follow ...

- J

Just made my maiden voyage! Or rather I managed to do a 3 point turn in the backyard with running engine. On one cilinder... Tomorrow, ignition timing and carbcleaning (not looking forward to that)

Cheers

Got it running yeah:thumbsup:

2 years later, some medical, some truck issues, and a dislocated garage work. I really wanted do do a trip out there, on my bike, and help you, but so far my life hasn't let up on me yet.

My life: 2 weeks of college for this year, Bike sounds angry after putting 120 miles on in one day, oil level was checked at 60 miles, currently walking in a walking boot, because my foot was injured in a scuba diving thing

Well congrats!!!!!!!
:bike:

Well thanks for thinking about me Arfstrom I appreciate the thought and wiliness to help out a fellow struggling xs400 rider.
Took her out for its maiden voyage today for a 5 mile warm up ride.I found out my carbs are way out of tune which I`ll be correcting soon along with a valve adjustment.
Good thing is I didn't forget how to ride and still have my confidence to do so.
Man you would love scuba diving my home time river and its crystal clear waters,I hope that foot heals up soon.
As for the bike its just realy strange how I struggled with it last year and couldn't get it to nothing no matter what I tried.Then here just recently all I did is pull it out of the shed,put the battery in it and the bike started cranking over..

Last edited:
Just got back from a ride. Rode it to the Co fair grounds for a car show / swap meet. Ran great had a good time on the short trip. When I left there were about 4-5 people standing round it & the old Kawi next to it. The guy thought it was a 650 but I corrected him. Told of the cheap couple boxes of parts I bought & assembled to resemble a Yamaha XS400. Boy was I relieved when I turned the key & hit the starter. It lit on the first compression stroke.:wink2. :):bike:

Volcom, 2 things. I got more pics that I'll post later which really clarify things. Also, my pops and I upped the size of the bolt from 3/8" to 7/16". There was a little flex under the 3/8 but dude ... With 7/16 ... It's an absolute rock. I sat in position and leaned into the bars standing up, jerked forward, and could not perceive the slightest bending. Bars are complete now and I couldn't be happier with my new riding position, all control cables respond exquisitely. I just have to drill holes for turn signals in my headlight bracket, figure out wiring since I failed miserably to label wires when I unplugged them last weekend, then buy a relay for LED turn signals.

- J

Mounting new '78 fender on '84 seca. Needed to drill some new holes on it but looks great. Tomorow ordering frisco apes :)

WP_20150517_16_46_41_Pro.jpg

WP_20150517_16_47_56_Pro.jpg

WP_20150517_16_48_15_Pro.jpg

WP_20150517_16_49_15_Pro.jpg

Well I did quite a bit ... First of all, for the consideration of Volcom and a couple others, attached are the modified handlebars of the clip-on fashion that I designed based upon some rather stout pipe repair clamps. I've put over 100 mi on these handle bars and I am abundantly confident that their structural integrity is more than adequate (Volcom, you mentioned potholes ... well I made the arduous trek from Lemont to Chicago - and back - three times on this setup and you know how the pothole situation is on I-55 and throughout the city :yikes:). The bars consist of 7/16" threaded rod going through the clamp then torqued with a series of end-to-end elongated nuts which incidentally fit rather well inside the stock handlebar (needed a little filing but not much). The last long nut is half-threaded on the 7/16" threaded rod and to keep the pipe from sliding off, a hex-head cap screw with a fitted bushing and three rubber grommets is torqued in the open half of the ending long nut. Even hammering the end with a breaker bar and one of my forge hammers won't get the pipe off when that cap screw is locked in. Grip tape (sometimes referred to as cloth electrical tape) is wrapped over the fork tube in order to guarantee the clamp won't slide at all while riding and turning hard - it's not going anywhere. In the end, I could NOT be happier with the success of my handlebar setup, I didn't even have to get new cables of different length, they're all the stock cables and they respond perfectly.

Also, LED turn signals have been installed with an EP-34 relay ... for those of you who intend to use this ... pay attention to both the orientation of the relay plugs from the relay's packaging as well as the wiring to the plug in your harness ... there's an instructional thread on installing an EP-34 for LEDs which indicated that you can just plug and play and only have to mess with a ground wire to give a better grounding ... well ... I used a different brand relay than that poster did as my local Advance Auto didn't carry the brand he used ... as such ... much aggravation ensued until I figured it out ... one of those deals where you're supposed to take 15min to do a project and it takes 90min :banghead:

I wrapped my exhaust and man ... what an awesome improvement in looks - I'll post pics later.

Adjusted and lubed chain.

I balanced my carbs ... well tweaked anyway, they were very close to begin with. HOWEVER found a real stupid problem when I was hooking up my manometer for balancing ... one of the tubes on the carb boot was properly plugged, the other had a tube connected to it that's supposed to hook up to the vacuum diaphragm of the fuel petcock (which doesn't work on mine) ... well that tube was open and not even hooked up to the petcock :banghead: man was that dumb and man fixing that really smoothed out and pep up this bike ... I fell in love all over again ... honestly, for all I know, even when that tube was hooked up to the petcock, it was probably sucking air and giving me a vacuum leak - I don't remember this bike ever running so well - what a beautifully balanced bike with respect to size, handling, and power.

The bad side ... there's a periodic back-fire every now and then, when it hits me at idle (e.g. a stop light), it kills the bike and leaves me trying to kick the thing over with a green light in front of me and pissed off cars behind me. My timing was spot on when I installed the engine about 500 miles ago ... can't imagine it's off again. However, I did not check the valves when I installed the motor. I know I should have but got lazy since the thing runs most of the time. I'll have to take a gander at timing and maybe go over my valves in the near future.

Cheers!

- J

can anyone tell me quickly what the stock main jet is for the 78 xs400E?

manual i have lists the xs400D as 142.5 and the xs400-2E as 132.5

thanks

HMbcEN2.jpg

Test fitted my new muffler today, seems to be okay. Tire clearance is close, but not desperately so.

Hey Levdir, what kind of muffler is that? I like how it looks ... certainly better than the tacky stock mufflers. Is there any way you can upload audio to give us an idea how it sounds? It looks like that's a 2 into 1 setup - am I right?

Thanks!

- J

Back