What did you do with your XS today?

I received a box of parts i ordered... this included the 7" sealed beam headlamp from Parts n More - which does not fit the bezel... :doh:

I took off the old headlamp bucket, which meant taking apart all the wiring up front.
I changed out the bulbs in the Neutral light, and the Speedo (which weren't lighting up). After some bench testing turns out those lights were all fine and it must have been a wiring issue that was kept them from lighting.

My next step is to take off the tank (paint it maybe? its off so why not eh?) and track all the wiring.

I did find a connector with a Blue, Green and Brown wire coming from the front to just about under the battery that doesn't plug into anything... Anyone have any clue where this should go, or what its for? (my headlamp, neutral light, speedo, and tach doesn't light up so it could be for that? ) It matches up with the voltage regulator plug, but that already has a plug into it coming from the rear (same wiring colours as the front unplugged plug.)

I am baffled...

You know it may be annoying, but if you add a a signature with your bike stats, you wont need to tell us, which one is yours? Pic helps

I did find a connector with a Blue, Green and Brown wire coming from the front to just about under the battery that doesn't plug into anything...

So on my bike, per the wire diagram from the tech tab, on top of this webpage.
Green Wires = Field coil to voltage regulator. Or Green wire to High beam headlight.

Blue wires = Nuetral safety switch, Rear tail lights/Licences light, Tachometer,Key switch, Speedometer. A few more

Brown = Voltage regulater, rear brake switch, front brake, Horn, turn signal, flasher relay, Then there is chocolate colored, not flavor, are quite a few places too.

Last edited:
Chris I hear ya about the cold its coming too quick,we barely had a summer and now just hardly missed out on a frost a couple of nights ago.It was a low of 37*:yikes:Mike bike is down as Im waiting for parts to come in.I dont think Im going to get many more rides in this fall.

I shovelled through a bin full of bagged parts trying to find the shift drum brackets. Couldn't find em, so now I'm just staring at the engine case trying to figure out how to rebuild this bike with the $30 left to my name (Hurray for returning to school and spending 3x more on my books than I did for my xs:laugh::yikes::banghead:)

Changed the oil in my bike for the first time (had it for a couple of weeks). What a difference that made starting and running.

Changed the oil in my bike for the first time (had it for a couple of weeks). What a difference that made starting and running.
Hmmm, Since last I thought I squashed all the oil leak gremlins, I am still needing to refill my oil weekly quite a difference when my oil level used 3/4 :yikes:of quart of oil maybe more to get it topped off.

Any one have a foot squashing gremlin icon?

good thing that you did, then. If it's causing problems, the oil is already WAY too old... :eek:

The bike sat for a long time before I bought it. I figured the oil was old and needed changed. I probably should have done that first, then cleaned the carbs. I only ran it for a couple of minutes after the carbs were clean before I changed it. I haven't even taken it down the road yet. Speaking of oil, changing the fork oil is next on the list. I'm hitting all of the maintenance items before I risk life and limb at road speed.

Its a good idea to go over the entire bike before riding if it has been sitting a long time:wink2:

Thanks Arfstrom - I have started a thread to help figure out what this connector is from/should go to.

I have added a signature with my details (1979 XS400-F)... I'll figure this eventually I am sure.

Attachments

• Crushed-foot-Icon.JPG
    Crushed-foot-Icon.JPG
    4.5 KB · Views: 212
Struggled with my Pilot jets again today.. One is stripped, and one turns has come up a bit but doesn't look like its coming out any further..

Looking into new POD filters, the PO had some really bad universals on there connected to a PVC pipe that was just a mess, he removed the stock airbox so its about my only choice.
On a 79 XS400 F i should be looking for 56mm ? I measured the outer diameter on my carb and its 55.5mm, so what size would i get as I am not sure exactly what measurement the website gives when it says 54 or 56 etc because i have never seen a 55mm

I thought I would take advantage of the 94 degree heat today. I have a crack in my front fender. Man does that ever make a racket. I swear I can hear the noisy fender as much as the engine. I wish I could weld, but I'll have to make due with a non welders friend, JB Weld.

Back