What did you do with your XS today?

I've stripped everything off and repainted all the parts and frame. I was a little concerned about tearing up the frame paint when I put the engine back in. It's heavy and I'm doing it solo. Then I realized that the stripped frame weighed a LOT less than the engine, so I laid the engine down on its side (no oil in it) and simply dropped the frame over it. Easy peasy. I still covered the exhaust studs, as they were the most likely to scratch the frame.

photo(15).JPG

Rebuilt another set of carbs:laugh: These are off a xs360. I love what soda blasting can do.

Attachments

• DSC02096.jpg
    DSC02096.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 218
  • DSC02097.jpg
    DSC02097.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 201
Do those carbs have the air mix screws on the side of the carbs instead of on the top like 80-82 bs34s?Also I know that you run 360 carbs on one of your bikes what are the advantages?

Yes the idle fuel mix screws are on the sides. The 76-77xs360 BS34 mikuni's where a pre-emissions standard carb so they deliver more fuel than later restricted ones. The set I run are stock jetted and set to factory settings and it runs perfect with a free flow 2-1 exhaust and long round K&N air filters.:shrug:

Installed a 12v power outlet. I want to mount my android on the handlebars. Also found a MPH app so I can check my speedometer's accuracy. Riding is still very new too me and when my speedo says 50
mph, it sure feels like 100!

The fear of speed on two wheels is probably also known as common sense...but I've never let that stand in the way before.

finally found the mysterious oil leak on the tracker. Its coming from the starter area. I use talc to see what was happening and low revs was no issues but higher revs, it spins up the oil and throws it into the starter area and then drains onto the rear chain drive.

engine core plug on order

Messed around with some spare parts in the garage today, Aprilia forks, 21" wheel, and SR500 Mags... playing only, nothing fits together very well!

Attachments

• Phone 144.jpg
    Phone 144.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 200
  • Phone 142.jpg
    Phone 142.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 215
  • Phone 141.jpg
    Phone 141.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 207
The fear of speed is the unknown like whos going to swerve or turn out in front of you and cut you off.Also its the lack of confidence that's scary it just takes time.plus the sound of the bike and the feeling of wind going around you.I can go 100mph in my truck with no fear but 80 on my bike Yikes!Everything must work properly with no room for error or shortcuts.Also having the correct riding gear.
BTW ElvisR your bike is looking good keep up the progress.

There is a drain hole at the bottom of the starter motor cavity. If anything gets in there it will drip out by the front sprocket.

rode it to work and assessed the damage to my exhaust H-pipe. There are some very small holes (2mm) and one big 1-inch hole. Think I'll fix it in the morning, I'll report back how it turns out. I hope I don't break any header bolts! actually, that reminds me I should go spray some WD40 on those :)

Tried to figure out what I'm doing with my wiring. Doing the tedious stuff now and it's getting boring. More tedium tomorrow maybe.

So I ended up soaking my header bolts in WD40 last night. That was a dumb idea lol

I forgot I had to take the bike today so I ended up keeping the exhaust fix for another day. But a bunch of WD40 on your headers doesn't smell very good at the traffic light I can tell you that :doh:

willem you are still struggling with that exhaust leak sorry man,I feel your pain.I think I finaly have my exhaust problems solved.The new mufflers are working out great and love the sound of them.I just have to get some brackets to fasten them in the back.

Picked up another set of xs400 carbs today. Got them all apart now time to soda blast:) I will be putting these up for sale in a few days:wink2:

Drewpy? Which one is that?
Tobie

Is that to block out the electric starter hole? If that is the case, doesn't the oil just fall back into the case?

aye,its to block out the oil from the starter/alternator case. I'll need to put a gland grommet in there so the ignition wire can pass through.

as XSchris says, there's a drain hole in the starter area where the oil was leaking from

Back