What did you do with your XS today?

let me guess, this is your attic?
draft_lens6881622module128598441photo_1287970289Man_Cave_-_Jeremy_Kipnis.jpeg

That's a heck of studio you got there chris,so you have 2 expensive hobbies playing music and xs400`s.Cool and you like someone said a basement and a garage,dam your lucky as hell.

i have a basement and a garage as well, but the basement is a non finished basement from 1904 which only houses a washer dryer and numerous spiders and house centipede things. not the friendliest place in the world, but i bet a wall of guitars and motorcycles would make it nicer...

This set up was the reason why we bought this house, two car garage and a huge basement. :) No my attic is just an attic:(

We need a detailed inventory - year/model/variation, etc.
Is your bass a Kramer or something with a Gibson Explorer neck?

Attachments

• evolved2rock.JPG
    evolved2rock.JPG
    5.6 KB · Views: 195
And now returning to your regularly scheduled program:

Yesterday i put on a set of Euro bars i ordered from Mikes with the Gran Tourismo grips. It really makes the bike look so much better!

They aren't as low as clubmans/drags/clip ons but they have a great feel to them and make the bike look so much more aesthetic IMO.

Getting the grips on was a huge pain in the arse though, especially over the stock throttle sleeve, i think my hands are bruised lol

... Getting the grips on was a huge pain in the arse though, especially over the stock throttle sleeve, i think my hands are bruised lol
This is indeed a hard job. Soaking the insides with a cup of warm water with a single drop of dishwasher detergent in it helps a lot - but only if you do it after your ride and can leave it to dry overnight.

I did not do that Lou lol

I just pushed as hard as i could until they went on haha..

The left grip went on fairly easily, the right side over the throttle took about 25 minutes of pushing and pulling and cursing, and its on now (like 96% on, i think the way the grip is shaped and the size of the throttle sleeve it can't fully seat). There is some white of the sleeve that shows through, but thats because of the tapered end of the grip and flared end of the sleeve not playing well lol

Willem, were you asking ME for pics or was that still on the guitar topic? lol

Just figured out ( at least partly ) why my exhaust is so loud. It seems the connection piece between the head and header pipes was loose. I tightened it and it did help some, but also ordered a pair of new gaskets - because I can still feel air / preasure coming out at the connection. Maybe I won't need to replace the mufflers :D

got a new seat in the mail :)

my seat has lots of holes and duct tape, this replacement one was cheap and saves me the time of redoing the upholstery myself. Probably would have been cheaper to redo the cover on my own seat, but I'm helping out a fellow xs-owner this way (his camshaft broke in half, so he's parting out his seca :wtf: )

Willem: I am planning on removing my carbs again tonight to inspect that choke air leak issue, so i will snap a couple pics for you before i take her apart again.

A bit off topic but i took (and passed) my Motorcycle safety course this weekend giving me my M2! We rode 250cc Honda Rebels, and geez they are tiny, I was having trouble making right hand turns because the bar/my wrist would hit my knees and i couldn't keep the throttle on lol Made me miss my XS so much more!

Planning on inspecting the carbs tonight, taking them apart, and looking for air leaks in the choke (and other areas).

Any one know of methods for bench testing for air leaks in the choke? I think its leaking through the plunger pull out on the left carb side (maybe the right too)

congrats recreateme! looking forward to the pics

Don't have any methods for testing for leaks over there. But if you suspect the choke plungers to leak, I'd inspect and possibly replace those rubbers if you can get your hands on them.

Willem: ... Any one know of methods for bench testing for air leaks in the choke? I think its leaking through the plunger pull out on the left carb side (maybe the right too)
By bench testing, I assume you mean after you have them off the bike.
Here's how MacGyver might do it. He'd have to maybe cover all the intakes and out-takes (?) with SaranWrap and elastic bands, then figure out a way to introduce pressure into the now closed system and then somehow detect air leaking out. So he would need coloured air (smoke? CO2?). I think he would put a piece of dry ice into the system, close it up with the Saran and elastic and then watch for "smoke" escaping when the dry ice melted and expanded.

Congratulations on the Licence upgrade. So, now can you ride after sundown (4:58) on Dec 19th?

Figured out why my exhaust is so loud. Ordered new header pipe connection gaskets and when I went to install them noticed the right pipe was missing the exhaust flange... I could pull the pipe out of the head with out loosening anything. So , another part ordered and see how much quieter it gets. Meanwhile, I tell myself the noise is a great safety feature.
You will never miss me coming down the road... ;D

Back