What did you do with your XS today?

Willem, I have attached photos of my bikes new Euro Bars.. These are the ones i bought from MikesXS. I havent been able to ride them yet as i just put them on and at the same time pulled my carbs to inspect my choke air leak issue lol

Its in a small garage, and it was raining out so this was the best i could get.

The best i can describe them as is - The grips site like clubmans, but about 4" higher. You can rotate them a bit to have them more upright, or turn them down a bit to be more aggressive.

I am 5'11" and with these bars i still get full rotation and from sitting on it don't feel to cramped, its more aggressive then stock, but more upright then clubmans.

Attachments

• Photo 2013-10-21 7 21 33 PM.jpg
    Photo 2013-10-21 7 21 33 PM.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 196
  • Photo 2013-10-21 7 22 07 PM.jpg
    Photo 2013-10-21 7 22 07 PM.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 189
Nice handle bars I have to change my stock ones someday.As for what I did to my xs400 It was behaving like a bitch it is and didn't want to start.Finaly after removing and drying out the plugs and drying out the cylinders and keeping the battery charge she fired up and I ran her for a while to get the stabil run through the carbs.

I had an older chevy truck I built with a racing engine in it,I had 350 built to the teeth with headers and straight 3 inch pipes with resonator tips at the end.Talk about loud it made your ears ring after a long trip.I don't know how many lives I saved but when I step on the gas and a slow poke was in my way they moved out of it lmao.

I painted my cylinders and polished the edges. I removed the badly corroded paint from the head and cylinder and polished them instead. I prefer the black cylinder only look, the way the old Bonneville's are.

Attachments

• xs400 019.jpg
    xs400 019.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 170
:eek: Just finished up cleaning my carbs and noticed my left side idle mixture screw was turning but always seemed to be remaining the same depth in.. took it all the way out to find the tip had broken off and is lodged in the opening.

Anyone know where i can get new idle mixture screws for a 79 xs400-2f? MikesXS doesnt have them, Partsnmore doesnt have them, ebay canada doesnt have anyone selling them.. I am stumped!

Bought Stuff. More stuff! More $$.
Gallon of 10w-40. Got the Kawi. (oops) $8 cheaper than Yamalube!

I am one of the shell oil guys. $12.97 at wallymart, or 12.95 at Menard's. Shell Rotella 15w-40. I could be off with the Menard's pricing, last time I walked though that store I realized there was a pricing war. A silent one.

I am buying valves stuff. One of the valves kissed the dog is what the machinist said. There was no way I could have taken off those springs. I am glad I found this guy. Anyone see Vesrah kits or wiseco?

:eek: Just finished up cleaning my carbs and noticed my left side idle mixture screw was turning but always seemed to be remaining the same depth in.. took it all the way out to find the tip had broken off and is lodged in the opening.

Anyone know where i can get new idle mixture screws for a 79 xs400-2f? MikesXS doesnt have them, Partsnmore doesnt have them, ebay canada doesnt have anyone selling them.. I am stumped!

Where you able to get it out without messing up the hole?

:yikes:heard it can be a bitch to get the tip out with out really screwing up the hole! theres a thread on here somewhere with a detailed walk-through of getting it out.

Started my 80 on a diet again:laugh:

shedding weight?

speaking of shedding weight, drained my tank so i could put it in my car to make it the 100mi to work and back! pay day tomorrow:D

I tried a bit and wasn't able to get it out, so i decided to just leave it in for now.

I read through a couple threads were people said they were able to dig in a tiny shaved drill bit in and pull it back out. Drewpy said he was able to removed this tip successfully a couple times so i know its possible.

When i think about it there is now way this was caused by this time cleaning, and i didnt check them as thoroughly the first time.. So this may be been stuck the entire time i have owned this bike.. And to be honest it was running okay a few times, it has issues, but i don't think they were caused by this.

From what i could find it supplements the fuel coming from the pilot jet so i was thinking it might be possible to just up my pilot jet size to compensate on that size, or adjust my butterfly valves so that side is a bit more open.. (if i can't get it out)

From what i could find it supplements the fuel coming from the pilot jet so i was thinking it might be possible to just up my pilot jet size to compensate on that size, or adjust my butterfly valves so that side is a bit more open.. (if i can't get it out)

that sounds like an impossible tuning battle... hope you get it out without messing up that hole.

sigh... you're right...

I guess i need to shop around for the tiniest drill bit and a new screw haha

Home depot sells a 1/32" drill bit, I think i will pick that up and go in through the screw shaft (the top) and tap it/twist it down just until it grabs the brass and then pull it back up. It worked on my pilot jet with a torx screw driver, hopefully it works on this too..

Last edited:
Recreate can you use a very small easy out extractor?One of my air fuel jets was stuck and the head got messed up.So I found the smallest drill bit I had don't remember the size but drilled a small hole,then used used the extractor.Worked like a charm

When i think about it there is now way this was caused by this time cleaning, and i didnt check them as thoroughly the first time.. So this may be been stuck the entire time i have owned this bike.. And to be honest it was running okay a few times, it has issues, but i don't think they were caused by this.

You must be a university graduate or an engineer of some sort - you are over thinking this. :banghead:

The pilot screw is the primary source of fuel when the throttle plate is closed. Yes, there is some fuel being delivered from the pilot circuit, but not enough to idle correctly. Without the ability to adjust the idle mixture, you won't get it running well, and any attempts to tune around this issue will cause other tuning problems. You will have to get the broken screw out or replace the carb body if you want your bike to idle decently.

Depending on how much of the screw is broken off, you may be able to blast it out with high pressure compressed air. Or use a tiny dental pick to carefully push it out. If you damage the hole in the carb body, it will be difficult to adjust the idle mixture.

Ya caught me Dave - Engineer checking in lol I have decided not to tune around it and just removed it carefully.

Scorpio - its a very small tip, like I am looking at using a 1/32" drill bit, so i wouldn't want to actually drill anything in this situation... When i had a stuck pilot jet i just used a small Torx screw bit and essentially drove it into the head of the pilot jet until it got stuck and then unscrewed it easily..

I figure here, because the tip is brass and the body is steel, any force i put onto the brass head will either push the brass tip through or allow the bit to be driven into the tip. Both are what i want haha The only way i see the going wrong is if i put to much force and know the tip through and the drill bit enlarges the hole.. But i wont let that happen.

Since the hole is tapered and the tip is tapered i am fairly sure the brass will never fit all the way through, so I am free to put enough force into the tip to drive in the bit and then pull it back out!

Its eeeeeeeassssssy guys.. it'll take like 3 minutes :laugh:

Back