What did you do with your XS today?

Did some work on the 80. Put a slotted front rotor on it, mini speedo and put the indicator lights in the headlight bucket. I also routed out the back of the alt. cover to shave a little weight. In all it's about 2lbs lighter.

Attachments

• DSC02206.jpg
    DSC02206.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 250
  • DSC02205.jpg
    DSC02205.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 251
  • DSC02204.jpg
    DSC02204.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 216
Its off a 81 xv920. I have not driven on it yet most likely not till spring. It should help with high speed braking but I put it on for less unsprung weight.

Today i checked my slides, and they seem great. I set my floats to 26mm and they are in good condition, all my jets are clear. I connected the carbs turned on the fuel and it still wont start at all..

It just chugs away, sounding like it always did except it doesn't start.... I am baffled.

started sanding my seat foam. looks like im going to have to cut some more off since the sandpaper will take for ever.

might try the cheese grater idea...

also, got a 40 grit sandpaper cut on my middle finger when the paper ripped out of the sanding block :banghead:

Chris - The plugs look a bit wet, but it doesn't look that bad, but the bike hasn't been running enough to really get a picture i think.

After the second last carb clean i put them back in, cleaned the plugs with some carb cleaner put it all back together and tried to start it up. It started rough, wouldn't hold idle so i started adjusting my throttle stop and idle mix screws and at one point it held idle so i rev'd it, i tried to see if the choke would help and the choke just killed it. I started it again it was idling and i rev'd it, it got to around 5k, backfired and died. I tried again, it backfired during start up and then hasn't started since...

I am just building problems on problems - No headlight/gauge lights, neutral light still, I had issues i was trying to fix with it reving passed 3k, but now it won't even start...

I don't have a compression gauge, i would rather not start buying a bunch of things just to find a problem i can't fix. I am working out of a friends shed (I have an apt. across town) with very minimal space and tools, so spending money tools is not what i want since i have no place to store them and they would likely be a one time use..

buy the gauge, use it, return it next day.

if i learned anything from working retail, you can return anything.

just be careful with the packaging.

also places like napa and advanced auto usually have loaner tools.

Yeah, Sesty, i knoooowwww, but i didn't want to do that..

I will do this over the weekend i guess... If i get good compression numbers what would my next move be? and if i get poor compression what would i need to do ?

EDIT - Just called a bunch of places for quotes and i'm getting like 80-90$ per hour :S its making me rethink doing it myself since i have no idea what the problem is.. This weekend will buy new plugs and a compression tester and try that out. Only other thing i can think of would be timing being off maybe?

Last edited:
Id say sell or part the bike out the bike and get you something different and better that isn't going to be a $ pit or a work on daily.Thats just my opinion.

Nah, I am not at the 'sell it' junction just yet.. I just looked on kijiji for xs400s and they are all up around the 1000$ mark (some were even priced at like 3000$ I feel if the bike will run well enough i can get 1000-1500$ for it), which means i still have a few hundred more to sink into this bike haha

I knew it was going to be a loss when i bought it, but the point was to have fun and learn about bikes, and it certainly is teaching me a lot. After it get it running the fun will come and then i plan to sell it and most likely take a loss but a couple hundred isn't going to break me.
However, paying 90$ an hour for a dude to poke around the bike trying to figure out what is wrong probably will lol. So i am going to keep trying, and that money i would have spent on hourly fees will go towards a timing gun and compression testing most likely haha

The only thing that worry's me is the carbs and my "dies with choke" problem. I cleaned the carbs again and when i was trying to start the bike i was feeling around and the throttle shaft seals (those little washer things on the side of the shaft that rotate the butterfly valves up with throttle) as it was chugging away to start i could feel those vibrating, like moving into and away from the bike.. Is that normal :S ?

Really Scorpio? Sounds like your frustrations with your bike are getting the better of you...

Im not frustrated at my bike at all,its running fine but it tucked away for winter.My comment direct @ recreate was if your constantly working on your bike and you can get it to run then since he gave a low price for it sell or part make some $ and buy something you don't have to work on.If he wants to work on it constantly and he doesn't mind and its not getting to the point of frustation then carry on.If I had to constantly work on a bike and wasn't getting anywhere with it I would do as I suggested,but that's just me.Eventualy Im getting another bike no matter if mine is running or not.I never planned on owning this bike for a life time :)

Its winter, i can't ride it so i don't mind putting in a couple hours a week on it. To be honest I think it would be really hard to sell a bike that doesn't run, in the Winter lol So if its going to sit until spring i might as well get it to run.

I just don't want to upset the guys on this forum for asking a whole bunch of dumb/vague/simple/repetitive questions...

Hey Recreateme, if you don't want to buy a Compression gauge try this. Remove the spark plug and put your thumb over the plug hole. Kick over your engine slowly. If the pressure pushes off your thumb, then you have pretty good compression.

10pm last night a buddy helped me push my bike up the steepest hill in my neighbourhood to it's new temporary home. He didn't have any shoes so he wore is still-wet scuba diving boots. What a top bloke.:thumbsup:

Posted via Mobile

10pm last night a buddy helped me push my bike up the steepest hill in my neighbourhood to it's new temporary home. He didn't have any shoes so he wore is still-wet scuba diving boots. What a top bloke.:thumbsup:

Posted via Mobile

Get that man a beer or something:)

Recreate reguarding your comment about asking dumb repetitive questions just do your best at searching this site,if you cant find the answer your looking for then fire away that's why we have this site. Most of the time the answers are here :wink2:

Yea, That is one of the many nice things about the Topics. You can zoom into individual topics categories. I know I have asked the same questions, So I know I am at a new spot with my XS400. It was really nice flying down Interstate 94, 80 plus MPH. Now that I blow up my bike (j/k) I just spent $250 or so for valves, and associated stuff.

Which my rings just came in, that was the last thing I was waiting for, now I need to get the carbon off the piston, and start conditioning the parts that I couldn't replace. I think I will soak in Simple Green. That seems to a safe method of none dystructions of piston cleaning. I have the time. I can soak them for a day or two and work them on the dremmel next week or something.

Yea that is the hard thing about moving on. for just a little bit of $$green stuff$$ I could get her fixed up, or for 800 to 1000, I could get someones working bike, that will need just some simple TLC.
250 or so for valves,
280 for muffler
100 or less for coils
$$$ for CDI/TCI (will research at later date) after confirming it wont or act like it should based on our previous research.)
600 plus/minus total.

Wife will not be happy. Oh that doesnt include the machine shop dude who got the valves off in the first place. (bet you its not free)

You know the one thing about getting answers and keeping everything in the "What did you do with your bike today" thread, is the use of Topics doesn't keep it simple to find easy answers. I am sure the google search will catch them.

Last edited:
I've had great success removing carbon from pistons by simmering them in a 1:1 mix of water and Castrol Super Clean engine de-greaser. Don't know if Simple Green will do the same. I use an old pot my wife retired from cooking duties over a camp stove. This will remove 99% of the carbon, and what remains can be brushed off with an old tooth brush. Check the ring grooves, they are the hardest part to clean. Your old piston rings can be broken in half and used as scrapers, just be wary of the sharp edges.

You will want to simmer the parts outside (or risk a divorce!) and wear gloves and eye protection. Rinse well with warm water once clean and then coat with engine oil to prevent corrosion.

I'm guessing the $280 for the muffler is a complete system, or a fancy muffler. There are certainly less expensive options available. But I won't tell your wife... ;)

Back