What did you do with your XS today?

Applied fluorescent (Hi-Vis) yellow wheel tape and sleeved the sparkplug wires with a nylon braid covering, also in a bright yellow. Then made a new keyfob out of glow in the dark yellow 550 paracord.

I guess I've decided on yellow as the accent colour for my black bike... :)

I'm guessing the $280 for the muffler is a complete system, or a fancy muffler. There are certainly less expensive options available. But I won't tell your wife...

Yea, Its the 2n1 system, closer to 285. Left muffler is shot, but I am going to get the rest the bike working before worrying about that.

Boiling, using the broken ring seems to be the right idea. That is basically was I was thinking. Somewhere on the internet was suggested, I know I have that. or i did anyways.

Thanks Dave

:umm:De-rusted parts of swing arm and other parts on the rear of the frame. Then painted them with Rust-Oleum heavy duty primer....After that a coat of Val-Spar Blackgloss water base paint....Looks good...Spad

:shrug:sat on it contemplated what bars to get:shrug:

held my roommates stock pair up to it and flipped them upside down to simulate club-mans...

was a bit uncomfortable, now im leaning towards drag bars.

it was 70 degrees here last night, wheeled out both bikes to sweep and clean the garage up

Im not frustrated at my bike at all,its running fine but it tucked away for winter. ... :)
Its winter, i can't ride it so i don't mind putting in a couple hours a week on it ...
What is with all this use of the "W"-word? :thumbsdown:
Last year, on Dec 18th I rode 91 kms and then the next day, over 100 kms in warm sunshine (52F). "Winter" started the next day on the 20th (1 day early). Bite your tongues! :mad:

... I just don't want to upset the guys on this forum for asking a whole bunch of dumb/vague/simple/repetitive questions...
When I first joined, I worried about annoying the truly talented guys on here who have so much first hand knowledge and experience. But, when no one ever admonished me for asking a question, I just kept at it. I have found that these guys do not mind helping us. I suspect, though, that one of the reasons is that, nearly every day, they get to ROTFLTAO.

Where we can annoy them (and should try NOT to) is to make no effort to search the Forum first, or to hijack a thread, start multiple threads on the same subject, or give our threads stupid names.

Lou Ranger What is with all this use of the "W"-word?
Last year, on Dec 18th I rode 91 kms and then the next day, over 100 kms in warm sunshine (52F). "Winter" started the next day on the 20th (1 day early). Bite your tongues!
Its a different year and the weather is different this year compared to last year.This year compared to last year it was milder.Me being a weather buff Im seeing a much colder pattern setting up for this winter compared to last year.

Beautiful sunshine today. Went for a series of nice (thanks to layers) rides - totalling about 50 km. :bike:
It's to be warm tomorrow - should make it up to 50 miles :thumbsup:

Installed an EK SRX chain and JT 38 tooth rear sprocket. Serviced the rear brake while everything was apart. Looking forward to tomorrows test ride to see if the rear sprocket makes as much of a difference as I anticipate. ;)

WTG Lou keep up the riding,We have a couple days its supposed to be 60*f this week makes me wish I didn't tuck ole blue away already.I know last year I rode in some cold temps and it didn't bother me.Guess the new ness of my bike wore off this year.I still see a lot of guys around here riding still but they have big ferrings to block the wind.

Took my weekend off bike work, but it was still on my mind whenever i had a free moment..

I hit up Canadian Tire and with the help of Gift Card that i found i bought a compression test kit, a continuity tester, and a set of filler gauges.

Tonight i plan on trying to start up my bike again, if that fails I will check the compression, and then remove the tappet covers and check for valve clearence and adjust if required.

Is it possible for a backfire/multiple backfires to mess with the valves and perhaps cause them to break or stick, or not open at the proper times?

I doubt if backfiring will cause the valves to go off spec suddenly - more likely the cause and effect relationship is the other way around.

I would imagine though that if you valves/timing were off, things could foul over time so that the engine would run progressively worse until it wouldn't start or run well any more.
Until I saw a broken valve, I would assume it was less serious and do what you are doing - get everything set exactly to proper spec and go from there.

I think (but am still new to this) its more likely the timing, which I will do the next chance i get, mostly because it still confuses me.

I had an issue early where it wouldn't rev over 3K, after many carb cleanings nothing helped, and after the last cleaning it started up backfired a bunch and now won't start at all. I cannot see how its the carbs anymore.. They have been cleaned many times and have to be clean enough at least to get it to start up. The last cleaning everything was checked again, floats at 26mm, slides are have no holes and are seated well, jets are clear. It should at least start. I am not hearing any combustion at all, t just sounds like the engine is turning over, MAYBE i can hear some small 'puffs' but it doesn't sound right.

So what you are saying is if the valves/timing was off, say when i bought the bike 2 months ago, it would get worse and worse and maybe be the cause of not reving over 3K under load, and then one day maybe the backfires would knock something that final bit off and just stop starting ? Which would put me where I am now.. its not starting at all.

Recreate have you checked timing?Oh nevr mind LOL
One of the reason you may have back firing is an intake valve is stuck open,You`ll be able to check that when you run your compression test.

Scorpio - How do i tell if my intake and exhaust valves are opening/stuck ?

EDIT - just bought a set of NGK BPR7ES plugs from the local dealer and hope i just had weak spark lol

Last edited:
Recreate did you make any progress on getting your bike running?To check the valves and movement,take the rocker arm covers off and slowly turn the engine over.Watch to see if the springs or rocker arms are moving up and down with each revolution of the engine.

Last edited:
Well... I feel great and silly about this but here it is:

Tried to start up the bike last night, nothing new, still didn't start. Pulled out the plugs one at a time and did a compression test. I got 145 on the right, and 125 of the left (i didn't do the oil drop test as i didn't have any oil on hand, and the engine was cold and now that i think of it i also didn't hold the throttle wide open:doh:).

After the test i installed new spark plugs that i picked up (NGK BPR7ES) and made sure to tighten them in well and hit the starter and BAM- fired right up:wtf:

Sooooooo i adjusted the carbs screws a bit and it seemed to sound as healthy as ever! I took it out for a ride up and down the street (not long since its dark early now and i still have that headlight issue) and it will pull past 3K now too it seems (with some vibration that may or may not be normal)...

So without getting ahead of myself i can say tentatively all of my engine issues of the past posts has been fixed with new spark plugs (im sure all the carb cleanings helped too):shrug:

Gonna take it for a longer ride tonight to see. I still need to try jumping my headlight wires to skip the safety relay.

Back