What did you do with your XS today?

Took the aluminum frame bar thats underneith the seat and stripped down the old paint.Then I repainted it the same color blue/clear coat as my tank and side covers.

Finished all the painting and have got the bike color I have been wanting for a long time.Heres a pic of the progress:thumbsup:

Attachments

• Blue xs400 recent.jpg
    Blue xs400 recent.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
Scorp, I had a bad mirror on the left side as well. I bought a cheaper, right mirror, then saved the hardware from the existing left side. (like you have) The mirror will screw right on. my local guy couldn't get the left mirror, then when he gave me the sticker shock. I was okay with getting the right mirror. All is good.

Otherwise Ordered new chain, electric starter bushing kit off of amazon. both totaling $47 bucks.

Need to re-adjust chain before work tomorrow. Clean my desk, go to work ... (my weekend is Tuesday and Wednesday.)

Arfstrom the mirror was ok when I got the bike,It fell over a while bike when I was learning how to kick start it and dropped on that mirror.Only one is neccasary in my state although I like having 2 so I havent bothered to replace it yet.

That was my experience too, and due to the backward thread-action yamaha endorsed, the mirror part wasn't part of it. (I have dropped the bike while taking the road test :doh:
then my wife droped it.So both mirror have been replaced in the last 3 years, at least 1.5 times. LOL

Made a mounting bracket and installed a pair of 6" Hella 500 driving lights on it. The deer won't be surprising me anymore... Now to squeeze some money out of the budget for HID's and I'll have some serious light! ;)

Because you asked...

full

I also de-glazed the brake rotor and installed new EBC FA81 organic/aramid pads.

Looks good Dave. Have been thinking of doing something similar. Seldom ride after dark because of poor lighting on the bike. I was concerned about the extra draw on the charging system. How many watts do they draw and did you tie in to existing headlight or run off the battery with a relay and separate switch?

Thanks Ken. I've upgraded my headlight to a 35 Watt bi-zenon HID in an H4 lamp. Every other light bulb on my bike is an LED, so I have a lot of charging capacity available. The alternators on DOHC motors are rated at 240 Watts. The Hella's had 100 Watt H3 bulbs in them when I removed them from a light rack I used when rallying. I didn't want to push the alternator that hard, so I installed 55 Watt bulbs. I currently have them wired directly into the high beam wiring. I was going to use a relay, but decided that since I'm going to be installing HID's in the lights shortly, that I wouldn't bother. The 35 Watt HID kits I'm considering have relay's and only use the stock wiring to trigger.

Back