What did you do with your XS today?

Levdir

cool idea, what year GS?

are you going to run open headers like that, or are you going to delete the center stand? could just be the angle of the phote, looks like there is not much room down there.

It's from an 89-97 GS500E. There's two kinds; the other has a crossover right by the exhaust ports and is too wide as a result. This one can be bent inward to fit because there's no crossover in the way.

It's mostly the angle of the photo that makes it look tight; there's a good inch and a half between the end of the header and the center stand, and viewed end-on the exhaust is less than half behind it. It's also got about three inches of bare pipe behind the gatherer so there's a little room for adjustment. Ideally, I'd like to weld in a route around and above it; I'd prefer to keep the center stand and I don't particularly want open headers. What I'd really like is to run the exhaust up under the seat and out next to the brake light, but my welding facilities are slim and my welding experience is nonexistent. For now I may see how it runs with open headers but I don't really want something so loud.

Got my rims back from being sand blasted. The guy said they used new sand so the metal is a bit rough. He suggested sanding it down with a 150grit sand paper before painting. Kind of a bummer, I just want to mount them!

Another land speed record attempt on Deep Purple my 83 Seca. Have DP running much better, real smooth, plenty of revs in 3rd and 4th. But no improvement in 5th. Using a 5 speed motor. 8150 revs in fifth, nudging 140 Km or 90 mph. Next change will be stacks on the carbs. Will also try and remove muffler baffles to be sure they are clean. I have a lot of air resistance items on DP, so he just runs out of power to go any faster. After the above changes I may lower the final drive ratio. Will keep yuse posted if I get any more revs in 5th.

Unkle Crusty*

Pulled the engine so I can haul it over to my friend's work and weld nuts onto the oil filter bolt and oilpan drain plug. Going to clean the frame with some Simple Green while it's out. I'm also getting closer to being done with painting; the headlight bucket and trim ring are finished up to being waxed and halfway reinstalled. I'm waiting on my custom Yamaha badges to arrive before I start clearcoating the tank.

I realized I threw out my old wheel bearings WITH the smaller spacer in it. Now I need to dig through the garbage in hopes that it hasn't been taken away.

I could've swore I had all my spacers, but noooo. :doh:

Put a charger on the battery, pulled the side covers, air filters, h-pipe and carbs. There was lots of gas still in the carbs. Got the left carb partly disassembled and then the wife had errands for me to run. Back at it tomorrow.

I only put on around 1000 miles this past season and the bike was running fine but I figure I might as well clean the carbs to be safe.

Today I recut the electronics tray from a heavier-gauge sheet of aluminum and drilled bolt holes and mounted the electronics, including the regulator on the underside. Everything's secured with compression washers so I'm hoping it'll be pretty vibration resistant. I also mounted the headlight bucket and started in on the wiring for the handlebar controls.

Can't wait ta see the finished bike levdir. Am gonna be starting the hardtail on mine on Sunday. Finally found a shop that will do an out of province with modified frame.

Made some aluminum seat brackets for the 80. Not pretty but you will never see them with the seat on. :D

Attachments

• DSC02844.jpg
    DSC02844.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 212
Put the 16 tooth sprocket on and went for a ride. 6000 at 60, just like the others. Checked speed against GPS. Reads about 1 mph too fast at 60.

Unkle Crusty*

1BZkUiG.jpg

Got my custom Yamaha badges applied and one coat of clear over them yesterday. I'm probably looking at six or seven coats of clear total to get a reasonably smooth finish but I'm stoked to have them in place. The angle of this shot makes the positioning look a little off but I think I could have moved them 3/4" closer to the front of the tank regardless.

Made some aluminum brackets for the rear of the seat on the 80. Got rid of all the stock hardware and saved a pound of weight :thumbsup:

Attachments

• DSC02851.jpg
    DSC02851.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 212
  • DSC02852.jpg
    DSC02852.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 211
  • DSC02853.jpg
    DSC02853.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 211
  • DSC02854.jpg
    DSC02854.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 208
  • DSC02855.jpg
    DSC02855.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 227
Cleaned and rebuilt front fork. Put new oil seals and boots with some fresh oil.
Oil level was so low I managed to get 0,3L from both tubes. And both tubes had oil in different collors (green/black). That might explain why frontend seemed mushy and bottomed out at breaking/bigger pothole :banghead:

Attachments

• Fork1.jpg
    Fork1.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 218
  • Fork2.jpg
    Fork2.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 222
I had my forks resealed and put new oil in last week and what a difference in the ride. I couldn't get the circlip out though and had to take them to the shop.
<hangs head in shame>

Yours look good and it's nice to see what I misse :)

Removed battery box and tested rectifier and regulator. I think I need new ones.

Also removed armature and field coil. I think the armature is shot.

I'll post all my readings on my build thread to look for some input.

jsGKTqw.jpg

Put the bushings back on my tank to make sure it was seated properly for setting up an armature for a new seatpan. I'm not done with clear yet, next time I'm at it I'm going to sand the coats that are on there and do at least two or three more before a couple coats of 2K clear for gas-proofing. I hammered a bit of scrap aluminum into a right-angle bracket to mount my new tail light although it's currently supporting part of the seat armature. I also drilled a hole for the throttle cable retainer fork thing on the throttle assembly and got the left-hand controls wired in. I think I'm going to eliminate the right-hand controls entirely because I don't need a starter button. Engine's in my friend's Jetta, on its way to his shop to get nuts welded on the stripped oil filter bolt and oil drain plug. She's coming together.

I would kill to have my forks that clean. I mounted my forks today and and spent forever looking for some smaller controls. I've also still been cleaning my damn spokes! The struggle is real.

Back