What did you do with your XS today?

well got a new to me grab bar for the old girl been missing one the whole time i have had her
but test fitted and looking good .... well it will if i ever finish with the polish

I just bought mine today and need some basic questions answered.
Should I be able to cycle trough the gears if the bike is turned off and just sitting? I was able to on my kz, so not sure if new bike has a shot trans or not.

I just bought mine today and need some basic questions answered. Should I be able to cycle trough the gears if the bike is turned off and just sitting? I was able to on my kz, so not sure if new bike has a shot trans or not.
Welcome to the Forum!
Sometimes I can't even go from one gear to another with the engine running but the bike stopped - like when I forget to downshift before coming to a complete stop at a busy traffic light. Yet the transmission is as smooth as can be going up and down through the gears when I'm riding. I would only conclude that it is shot if it doesn't do what you want it to when you are moving.

Welcome to the Forum!
Sometimes I can't even go from one gear to another with the engine running but the bike stopped - like when I forget to downshift before coming to a complete stop at a busy traffic light. Yet the transmission is as smooth as can be going up and down through the gears when I'm riding. I would only conclude that it is shot if it doesn't do what you want it to when you are moving.

Thanks for the reply.
So let me get this straight. If i roll the bike as it is turned off (dead batter) I should be able to cycle trough the gears? At least that is how it was on my kz, I would have to roll the bike in order to cycle trough the gears. But on the xs it does not click up or down. Does the engine need to be on? or can you cycle trough your gears when just sitting on it as it is off?
Thanks.

... But on the xs it does not click up or down. Does the engine need to be on? or can you cycle trough your gears when just sitting on it as it is off? Thanks.
You've come up with a 3rd option and, while I doubt it, I'm not familiar with the sohc.
So as not to :hijack: , I think you should start a thread and others who are familiar will help.

My Xs is a 650 but I found a bunch of stuff at a yard sale, two Windjammer Fairings with matching hard bags. The black set are Shoei hard bags. With the lids and mounts.
Two luggage rack with 4 intercchangabl back rests, 4 windsheilds, a rear fender with tail light.
Any way I put the black Shoei bags on my 75 XS. Still need to get lights to fit the holes in the bags.
They look ok and don't rattle or bounce around so they should work well.
Leo

i put in a different fuse block, i used the crimp female quick release pieces, and an ATO style fuse box (holds 5), was pretty straight forward and killed some time

hot saturday, cruising at the seaside again:bike: and started to teach young biker

Attachments

• P7281701.JPG
    P7281701.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 241
  • P7281699.JPG
    P7281699.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 239
took. her. for. a. ride.

:thumbsup:

first time out with her. amazing.
I'll post a pic on the build thread of what she looks like now.
Painted the exhaust.

today I flipped my clubmans and it rides so much more comfortable. While I was reinstalling them my air intake setup came. So now I have a complete stock system on the bike and she runs beautifully! Also noticed that the seal around the clutch rod is leaking... Overall an awesome day for me!

went to a 2 stroke rally at Squires cafe and showed the smokies how an xs400 moves.

I was riding 90mph with a brace of KH750 on the Yorkshire's finest roads :D

Been riding all summer every chance possible. Loving my ride. I have a great custom cut pedestrian slicer that says "TRUST ME" with the "R" swooping down like the Triumph logo.:bike: I always get second looks from other riders. Sadly the other day, my custom pedestrian slicer must have loosened up and came off on my last ride. Bummer! Bike just lost 20 points of coolness.:( Now to figure out how to make another one.

2DCA25F0-515A-49F8-9AD8-C42D01DB0623-4603-000003F6A52D12EF.jpg

Technically yesterday, but:

Took stock grips off. Very hard and uncomfortable. Put bicycle grip tape on instead. So far I like it. A little weird, but soft!

Back