What did you do with your XS today?

Put a aluminum brake stay on and cleaned up the exhaust by cutting off the original hangers and moved it back with a p-clamp I made. Cost me 6$ and is 2lbs. lighter:)

Attachments

• DSC01640.jpg
    DSC01640.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 294
  • DSC01641.jpg
    DSC01641.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 260
I rode it 60km in the chilly 0C (32F) early morning. :eek: to take my M2 license road test. And we watched in horror as a pretty young lady grabbed the front brake of her sport bike while weaving through the pylons :wtf: , and laid it over with the horrible sounds of plastic breaking :yikes: I had to fight with my ignition switch to actually turn on and finally convinced it to work with some futzing and strong language. :cussing: I was beginning to think that I wouldn't be able to complete the test, but I passed with the bike running like crap and rode home with 60kph cross-winds and the electrical system randomly shutting off. Reaching down to wiggle the key or turn it off and back on while being blown all over the road was more excitement than I wanted... :yikes:

2 hours later and I just finished rebuilding the switch after finding corrosion on some of the contacts. I guess that is to be expected with a 30 year old bike. Hopefully the wind will die down so that I can go for another ride to test my fix! :bike:

Dave

fought with the fork seal for 20 minutes with a blow torch, screwdriver, paint can lid lifter, another screwdriver, some smashing pumpkins and another screwdriver.
Then I realized I didn't take out the circlip.
And had a headache from burning the rubber.
Took the circlip out and had to go back to work.

Quality expenditure of time!

Tonight I'll have to cut the fork seal out as the rubber is hard/crunchy after a severe reaction to the blowtorch.

Friend took rolling shots for me before the weather goes to shit

Attachments

• IMG_00000189.jpg
    IMG_00000189.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_00000191.jpg
    IMG_00000191.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_00000190.jpg
    IMG_00000190.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 294
I do have a spare arm but decided against extending it now, I'm going to mod the seat area of the frame. Gonna drop seat and shorten it. Kinda like what requiem did in his brat build but lower and shorter

- Installed a throttle lock "cruise control" made by Sound Off Recreational www.soundoffrec.com - so nice to be able to stretch and flex my right hand when on long rides! And it looks and fit like it was a factory part.
- Tightened swing arm pivot bolt - I'd been thinking the bike felt sloppy and was slightly changing the riding line when I applied the rear brake, and it was. The swing arm had about 5mm of side to side play at the back edge of the rear tire. Not any more!

Dave

It was only 15C here yesterday, but we consider that to be "warm" riding weather for mid Oct. Even those of us without electric underwear were out in great numbers.
Went for a series of nice rides totalling about 75 km interrupted by a couple of visits to the coffee shop.

Then, at dusk, with the engine as hot as it can get, I successfully changed the oil using Rotella T-triple - but not the filter this time, just the drain plug (31 lbs torque).
Didn't break anything. :D

went to Stafford county showground for the annual classic bike show.

It was really busy and great weather to be riding (about 140 miles)

Not today but I spend the past 4 days using several different techniques to remove stuck and rusted screws off my carb bodies. They involved pb blaster, slotting the screws, drilling and using extractors and finally for the last 2 screws that wouldnt budge after all the other techniques using cold, yup cold to remove them. I threw the carbs in the freezer overnight and I guess the metal around the screws and possibly the screws themselves shrank just enough so that all I had to do was use a long screw driver to drive them out. Both made a nice loud crack as they released themselves from the top of the carbs revealing the rust that was holding it tightly in place. Last resort would have been heat but I'm quiet afraid of using fire and will only use it if cold didnt work haha. Maybe I should invest in a couple cans of compressed air to instantly spot freeze screws if I run into this issue again.

Now I'm trying to remove a broken air/fuel screw tip. Trying my freeze method again and will let ya'll know how it goes!

Spent a night on the couch plucking pics from favorite moto blogs.
Procured a rear 18" wheel with disc setup
Readying to go grab an xs750 tomorrow to mod for a buddy over the winter.
Actually updated the build thread. haha.

Sweet pics DB!

Gave the carbs yet another bath in the ultrasonic cleaner after drilling oversize the fuel passages that go to the needles and seats, removed the filters on the seats - I have an inline filter, so those little fuel restrictions are not necessary.

I also discovered that the brass tubes that goes down into the float bowls (for cold start enrichment aka choke) each have a 0.025" hole close to the float bowl mounting surface. And they were plugged!

Dave

39 C?
We had 22º C Thursday. No need for sweaters and thinsulate gloves. It was nice. Can't imagine 39.
I hope it is a dry heat - if you wear any gear ... :wink2:

Go figure that - my cell phone converter says 39 F is 3.9 Celsius. Perfect for riding :laugh:
At least don't have to worry about running too hot :wink2: (and it has 10w40 in it now)

Back