Whats everyone doing about plane bearings

NewHavenMike

1976 XS360C
Top Contributor
Reaction score
More specifically, the crank bearings.. For the XS360.

I ordered a set of bearings for the connecting rods.

I figured I would order the crank bearings as well since the engine is apart and Ive been moving internal parts around slightly over the months.

Obviously, the bearing are no longer available and are very pricey for just 1/2 of a bearing (P/N= 12R-11416-00-00)
I could probably reuse the bearings since the engine only had around 4000 miles on it. But I know one microscopic piece of embedded dirt will ruin the bearings.

Ive done some research one here as well and haven't really come up with anything. Theres gotta be a fix for this somewhere besides having the bearings re poured and having machine work done.

Call a crank shop and have them make you bearings if you need them. Places like Crower and Weisco will do it but it will be $$$$$$$. Local places can do it to but its a crap shoot and you are on your own with research but it shouldn't be a ridiculous price.

Why do you want to change them? I highly doubt they are bad at 4k miles. In fact I would bet they are like new unless the motor was run ragged all 4000 miles. Small dirt on bearings won't wreck them, there is actually space between the bearing and the rotating part. Its dirty oil full of junk, or losing oil pressure at the bearing, or too small/too big a clearance that causes them to go south.

I wouldn't just blindly replace them. If you don't need them, you don't need them. If you buy new ones, how do you know what size you need? Do it the right way and measure with plastigauge. Compare to the manual specs and determine the size you need, if at all.

Bottom line is, no matter what you need to get a measurement, or else you are gambling and will probably make things worse. I thought a would need new ones, and turned out I was no where near needing them.

Back