XS 650 and xs400 rear wheel difference

tfish400

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new to the site. Hopefully you can help me with my questions. I am hardtailing a 1982-83 xs400 with PSW Custom's weld on hard tail. http://www.freewebs.com/pswcustoms/partswebstore.htm
They require that you use an XS650 rear wheel. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the two rear wheels? They are both 16' and use the same tires.

Axle diameter and rim width are probably the major differences. Spacers and sprocket mounting probably differ as well.

As 5twins mentioned, the 650 has a larger diameter axle. The 400 has a 4 bolt sprocket, whereas the 650 sprocket is secured via 6 bolts. Spacers and hub width are a whole 'nother animal, but should be relatively simple to sort out.

is there anyproblem with the drive sprocket lining up with the rear wheel sprocket when you slap a 650 wheel on a 400?
.. just somthing i always wondered and if so how do you resolve the problem?

The XS400 can come with a 16" or an 18" rear wheel depending on the model. The rear axel of the XS400 is 17mm and the XS650 is 20mm. Not sure about sprocket alignment I'm afraid.

It says right on the site that you linked that an xs 650 whell is recomended, it doesn't say you have to go with it. IMO it sounds like you could make your xs 400 wheel fit. If nothing else you can try it once your hardtail is done and see and if not then you didn't really lose anything but a little bit of time.

I think PSW just recommends the 650 wheel because their kit comes with 20mm axle slots. You may be able to get 17mm plates from them though, I'm not sure. Travis on here make an awesome kit that comes with either 17mm or 20mm plates. It is in the shops section. His kit is what I'm working with now. I run a 650 rear wheel on my bike now with the 20mm plates. The sprocket lines up "fairly" well, but it isn't perfect.

Back