XS360 Cafe Racer Project

Demetrius

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I registered to this forum yesterday, so I thought it'd be appropriate to introduce myself :)

My name is Dimitry and I'm from the Netherlands. About three months ago I picked up a cheap XS360 from an acquaintance of mine. I was told that the bike still ran when it got stored, but I haven't been able to test that since I didn't have a battery. I don't think it'll run, since it has been stored for at least 5 years...

My first intentions were to restore it to its original state, but that turned out to be way too expensive and it was supposed to be a budget project. So, eventually I decided it's going to be a cafe racer.

Since I bought the bike, I haven't worked on it too much yet. I moved places, live approx. 100 miles north now and the bike is still at my parents' place. You get the picture.

Also, this is my very first project. I have never modded a bike before, except for swapping out a different rear shock on my Suzuki Bandit.

Here are some pictures of how I got the bike and what I've done so far.

Day 1
This is how I got the bike. Covered in birdie poo, mud and I don't wanna know...
2rm0cgl.jpg

mv3v9d.jpg

After a bit of fun with the high pressure cleaner, this seemed to be underneath it all along.
293uj5y.jpg

2zsmcg6.jpg

Day 2
Started disassembling the bike. This process has taken most time of all since it has a lot of rust, bolts that wouldn't come off and many rotten things...
2zg6al0.jpg

14wzo00.jpg

Tried to rid the mufflers of rust, but eventually threw them out. Will but short ones instead.
6p6oev.jpg

Downpipes came with a surprise... Going to have to get new ones too as I threw out the old ones.
333fgyg.jpg

A few weeks later... I don't have a lot of time on my hands and haven't been at my parents' place for a while.
2m6aaoi.jpg

2d98cuv.jpg

10er335.jpg

I don't have any more recent pictures, but this is what happened since.
  • Threw out all garbage items, seat, plastic, air filters
  • Still haven't been able to get the rotten swingarm bolt out...
  • Got the tires off the rims, had to use a hacksaw to get them off
  • Got brake discs off the rims (both have quite some rust on them)

To do list, sort of.
  • Chop the frame
  • Get new front forks, downpipes and mufflers
  • Get everything sanded, coated/sprayed
  • Re-assemble
  • Redo all the wiring (I cut up most of it while taking the bike apart, lot of cables were rotten)
  • Engine works (possibly complete rebuild, bike ran for 30k miles)

Plans for modification
  • Pod air filters
  • Flat handlebar
  • New blinkers
  • New seat
  • New round headlight (old one was rusted and busted)
  • Stainless brake hoses
  • Custom battery box
  • And I'll add more things along the way :p

My inspiration:
78XS400.jpg

Hookie4-FARS2.jpg

Hookie4-Streetride-LS.jpg

XS360-9-800-700x485.jpg

Welcome! I cringed a little when I saw the first pic :eek:
Good luck with this project, you seem to have your work cut out for you, but you're off to a good start

(as a fellow Dutchie I can tell you that heidentuning.com is probably your best bet for xs specific parts)

Looks like a "fun" project. I will be watching your build as you and I have the same taste, as I also have those last 3 pics as my inspiration photos. Best of luck with the build and have fun with it.

I hope I'll be able to post some updates soon, but since I'm completely broke I can't do much at the moment... Still waiting to move the engine to my new place so I can work on that while getting my finances sorted out.

It has been a while since I last posted here. Finally got some money again and possibly a new job too, which means I can start working on the cafe racer again.

Anyhow, if all goes according to plan, I will receive a new front-end next week. The forks that were on the original bike were bent and having them straightened out was more expensive than a pair of used ones in good condition.

The rotten swingarm pivot bolt still won't come off. Tried with penetrating oil and rust inhibitor spray, but to no avail so far. Might have to grind it off eventually and get myself a new swingarm too. Saw some one eBay for a mere 20 euros ($27).

As for the downpipes... I'm starting to doubt whether I'll find some new downpipes. Buying brand spanking new ones is just too expensive as I don't want to spend 200 euros ($270) on them.

However, I did read in an eBay description that the following downpipes should fit an XS360 just fine:
  • XS 250
  • XS 360
  • XS 400
  • XS 750
  • XS 1100
  • RD 200
  • RD 250
  • RD 400

Can anyone confirm this list?

Will post pictures when I receive the front-end.

Bennet's build thread included a handful of posts about using an early-90s Suzuki GS500 header as a 2-into-1 and they can be had on eBay pretty cheaply (in Canada, at least). Dunno what your registration or emissions requirements are in the Netherlands but it might be a cheaper option for you.

Those gs500 headers look like a great option for my xs400, if all they require is some slight bending... Going to have to look into that.
Demetrius did you check the german ebay?

I did check the German eBay and found a guy who has a ton of these XS motorcycles and loose parts. Only downside is that he asks about 120 euro's for a pair of second hand downpipes, which in my opinion, is a tad too much as the shipping costs are approx. 30 euros as well.

If the GS500 downpipes fit, it might just work. Don't know if there's a lot of modding involved to get a perfect fit.

Edit: Ok, so I found these.
$_85.JPG

They are a GS500E's. Says they fit the GS500 models from '89 to '03, so I guess it's the right one?

Last edited:
That looks like it has a crossflow pipe right below the mounts, which is different from Bennett's header. Not sure if the exhaust ports are the same distance apart; it makes sense that they would be for the sake of Suzuki interoperability but I'm not sure. I'v seen both designs but the ones I've seen mounted on an XS (ie, Bennett's) don't have it.

I did notice the absence of the crossflow pipe, that's why I asked. When I get to my parents' place again soon, I will measure the distance between the outlets. Then I'll ask a seller what the distance between the pipes is. Then I'll know for sure.

Post your findings! I'm planning to do this swap down the road and if both versions are compatible it opens up buying options. I'd rather not have the crossflow in there but if the price is right.

So, tomorrow I'll be going back to my parents for a few days to work on the bike again. I've planned to do the following:
  • Sand, clean and paint the rims satin black.
  • Cut the swingarm pivot bolt as it's still stuck.
  • Sand and clean the tank. Spray with primer, color layer not decided yet.
  • Grind off frame tabs and subframe.
  • Sand, clean and repaint brake calipers.
  • Maybe also rebuild the rear brake caliper.

Might do some more, but I'll see how far I'll get with this first. Pictures will be posted to keep you up to date.

Was also thinking of doing a monoshock conversion, but I stepped away from that potential death trap.

Things really aren't going as planned. The swingarm bolt still won't come out... I heated up the swingarm, but it still wouldn't budge. Now looking for a place to have it pressed out.

As for the sanding and painting, 30 years of paint won't come off that easily, so it seems I'll have to get it all sandblasted after all.

Post your findings! I'm planning to do this swap down the road and if both versions are compatible it opens up buying options. I'd rather not have the crossflow in there but if the price is right.

Unfortunately, the crossflow ones won't fit. The width of the engine exhaust, on its widest point, is 16.5 cm. The GS500 downpipes with the crossflow pipe are 17.5 cm at the widest point. You can probably make them fit by removing 1cm from the crossflow pipe, but I don't really see the point in putting that much effort into making them fit.

Things really aren't going as planned. The swingarm bolt still won't come out... I heated up the swingarm, but it still wouldn't budge. Now looking for a place to have it pressed out.

I had to drill and grind the head and shank of my seized swingarm bolt off to remove it. It took a week of evenings to accomplish as the bolt is very tough, but I did it without damaging the frame. Just offering another option....

Back