Make your own Gaskets, PDF Scans for some DIY

TimmyT

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Sorry should have posted these sooner, but thought it would be nice to share. My bike is a 1978 SOHC so if anyone else has more to share post them here or at least the links. These were all scanned to PDF format and with scales on the x and y axis for refrence.

Stock up on your corn flakes! O rings are scanned for size refrence only and I would recommend to actually purchase the head gasket with the metal rings as it might be pretty hard to make.

Attachments

• Exhaust gaskets and Engine O-rings.pdf
    280.3 KB · Views: 235
  • Head gasket.pdf
    608.6 KB · Views: 329
  • intake boot gaskets.pdf
    410.3 KB · Views: 212
  • Left side crank gasket.pdf
    568.8 KB · Views: 252
  • Oil strainer sump gasket.pdf
    290 KB · Views: 256
  • points cover gasket.pdf
    286.9 KB · Views: 210
  • Right side crank gasket #1.pdf
    602.9 KB · Views: 236
  • Right side crank gasket #2.pdf
    535.8 KB · Views: 209
  • Rotor cover gasket.pdf
    424.9 KB · Views: 291
  • TCI cover gasket.pdf
    457 KB · Views: 206
  • Thick head gasket & rings.pdf
    578.2 KB · Views: 204
As a disclaimer I would never use it myself and I do would not recommend cereal box cardboard though it could work. I have tried gasket maker gunk as well, and it held the oil in alright but there really is no clean or orderly application other than goop it on and hope not too much squeezes into the engine side... and it will. A cereal box may work as a temporary fix but I would recommend real gaskets every time unless you are in a pinch. The box no doubt will hold up where pressed between the cases but I think the overhang would disintegrate within your engine after some time. I was mostly kidding around on that comment but thanks for calling BS on me just so nobody walks away with the wrong idea.

Hope others can post more gaskets for the other variations of this bike.

The old guys (in the '50s and '60s) made gaskets from cardboard boxes all the time. I've done it for work on an antique tractor. Done right, they work fine, given that old bikes usually came apart for maintenance on a regular basis, and therefore, were not expected to last for years and years at a time.

HOWEVER, I use real gasket paper because there is no reason not to. $5 to $10 (maybe $15) will buy enough to do just about the whole engine. Ace Hardware, or pretty much every auto parts store have it.

Back