1978 XS400-2E

The Kenda Challengers are also tubeless, but I run them with tubes. On my '78 I run 100/90/18 in the front and 110/90/18 in the rear with tubes.

I like these tires a lot; after 4,000 miles the rear looks about half worn. I corner very hard on this bike and scrape knee or pegs constantly.

I would try and get a proper rear tire. The profiles are likely different for a rear/front tire.

Where are you looking for tires? I got mine from Bikebandit.

I've been looking on motorcycle superstore, chaparral racing and googling. And that's good to know about the using tubeless tires with tubes. I read something about Radials causing the tubes to slip? I don't know. I am way inexperienced when it comes to mc tires.

I also found some Bridgestones I like L303. I like the tread pattern more. Didn't see as many reviews though.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...57-Challenger-Front-Tire.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

They have it listed as tube/tubeless here but bikebandit and chaparral racing say tubeless. But since you said it didn't matter. Would you go with the Kenda or Shinko?

I have Kendas on two bikes right now; I like them better than shinkos. I have used shinkos though, and my experience was fine with them; no complaints.

The only stipulation with using a tube in a tubeless tire is that one should consider the speed rating of the tire to be reduced by one level. The Kenda challengers are rated for 130 mph, so reducing the speed rating by one level has no affect since the bike tops out at about 100 mph on a good day anyway.

As I said, I have run tubes in a tubeless tire for 4,000+ miles so far without issue. A friend of mine with a cb360 runs these same tires with tubes as well; he's done a few thousand without issue.

Jayel and Lou on here http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7661 mention front/rear tire option.

Seeing as the Challenger does not have a 100 in the rear, could I use a 100 front on the rear? As you said, with a top speed of 100, how unsafe would this be? If need be I could run a 110 on the rear. I just was digging the idea of the same size look.

Will probably go with either two Challenger fronts or two Shinko fronts. Unless this is a horrible idea

Last edited:
Jayel and Lou on here http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7661 mention front/rear tire option.
I just ordered 2 of these http://m.motorcycle-superstore.com/...visionId=31&DepartmentId=401&ItemStyleId=6204 $93 free shipping, should be here by next Wednesday.
Hey Nico, lost track of the other thread you had going about tires.
I noticed that Shinko DOES make a rear 712 in your size - 100/90-18. I haven't seen bcware scrape the ground but I believe he can do it - and if he thinks you should get a proper rear tire (but in your size) then I really hope you will do it.
I apologize for assuming, on your other thread, that your bike needed a bigger tire on the back. I am used to mine - the back wheel is 2" smaller but this is made up with a much larger tire.
I do see why you like the same-size look. I saw a brand new URAL at the coffee shop today. All 3 wheels and tires (plus the spare) were the same exact size. Looked good. It had non-directional tires though.
Someone cautioned you against 2 front tires unless you reversed the direction for the one you put on your rear wheel. Sounds reasonable since one mostly accelerates the bike and the other mostly decelerates it. :umm: Make sure you figure this out first.

Attachments

• Ural-PF.jpg
    Ural-PF.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 287
  • Ural-DR.jpg
    Ural-DR.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
Whoa! I totally did not see the 100 in the rear:doh:
But I sent an email to correct it do hopefully they cancel/fix it. Thanks for that

Whoa! I totally did not see the 100 in the rear:doh:
But I sent an email to correct it do hopefully they cancel/fix it. Thanks for that
You're welcome. I may not (or ever) know much about bikes but I have always been a good proofreader. :smoke:
We noobs need to stick together and try and help each other - otherwise the folks on here who REALLY know what they are talking about won't keep us around for entertainment. :wink2:

I believe in Murphy's Law, so, in case the first guy isn't such a reader, I'd send a 2nd email asking them to confirm they got your first and can and will make the switch (w/ please & thank you).

On a bike as as small as this one that is ridden on the street there will probably be no issue with most tire setups.

We can talk advanced riding principles, but that probably doesn't apply here.

If you want to do some extreme cornering we'll talk, but for more casual riding you should be fine.

Ok so yet again I have changed my mind!:banghead:

I really like these http://m.motorcycle-superstore.com/...isionId=31&DepartmentId=401&ItemStyleId=24153

I just can't decide. I like the tread on the Brisgestones and they have 3.00(90) and 3.50 (which is 100). Little more price wise but eh... Does anybody have any experience with these?

Thanks for all the replies so far everyone! And for putting up with my lack of decision making skills and experience!:D

Trying to get my mind off tires... I'm moving on to battery placement lol. I would like to not have side covers and show off the pods but the battery will be in full view. I was curious as to what others had done for this. I am keeping the stock seat so no mounting it under rear cowl as others have done

I would like to ... show off the pods but the battery will be in full view ... I am keeping the stock seat so no mounting it under rear cowl as others have done
Smaller side covers which show off the pods while hiding the battery?

Lol. Yea probably won't be carrying a battery around. I do like the smaller covers idea. I thought about turning it sideways but I'll figure something out I'm sure.

In other news, pipes came in today:D

Also, I'm thinking about IRC GS-11
front:
51fJ0t8kOTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Rear:
5153UoooY1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

OR the Bridgestone L303
Bridgestone-L303-OEM-Tire.jpg

Any thoughts? They are both around 75 on Motorcycle Superstore and the IRC is 50 something on Chaparral Racing

Lol. Yea probably won't be carrying a battery around. I do like the smaller covers idea. I thought about turning it sideways but I'll figure something out I'm sure. ...
Also, I'm thinking about IRC GS-11 ... OR the Bridgestone L303 Any thoughts?
They are both around 75 on Motorcycle Superstore and the IRC is 50 something on Chaparral Racing

Your battery and air cleaner set ups must be different than mine. The battery is on the right and that cover hides the battery. The air cleaner box and its outlet are on the left and that cover hides it all. If I put air pods on, I could just leave the left cover off to show them - I think :umm:

Re: tire choices, I would be tempted to save $25 per. That would give me $50 - nearly the price of a deluxe battery satchel!

I tried the satchel idea with my gas once..wanted to run without a tank for a day or so,,big mistake...lol ..On a serious note I run the Z-rated $54 Cheng-Shin's..lol Good for 81 mph and last apporx 2k miles..My tire sizes are factory specs and my knees/pegs never touch the ground yet my tire has 1/8" unsed on the outer perimeter...Guess I need a flatter tire to go any further..or I'll be riding on my side-walls.:)

Lou, my 78 has the battery in between air filter boxes on either side. I'll take a pic next time I'm around the bike(which will hopefully be tomorrow night)

I ended up ordering a front IRC GS11 and a rear of the same. Got stock sizes, 3.00x18 and 3.50x18. $120 and free shipping from Chaparral. I don't think I'll change my mind again lol.

Really hoping more parts come in tomorrow as its supposed to be a cooler week. It's been averaging 100 degrees and Arkansas is HUMID! It'd be nice to get the bike back together where I can ride it!

Battery compartment:

87CC9FF8.jpg

75A8DAE4.jpg

Also,
next item on my to buy list is some handlebars. Anybody have clubmans/clipons they would recommend? I am wanting to not spend a whole lot as i've already put a lot more into my "new" bike than my wife thinks:yikes:

I saw some with knurls on Dime City for $40
23-12538-vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-handlebar-parts-chrome-clubman-clubmans-3_1.jpg

Aslo saw some on Amazon and other cycle sites for less than 30 I believe. What about angle of grips compared to clip ons? From what pictures of cafe racers i've seen, some look to be angled towards the ground. I don't want that, just lowered from the standard, where I am more hunched over in an aggressive riding style.

So... major bummer! Jets finally came in today and the mains do not fit in the threaded holes! Pilot jets screwed in fine but the mains are too big. Seeing as I'm using a normal not shorty exhaust I'm going to try it with the stock 137 and the 45 pilots. Super bummed but oh well. Going to go work on the parts I can and possibly get this thing running today. If not I'll order new mains from a different site.

Back