1978 XS400-2E

I'm hoping I found the problem. I can feel air blowing out where I put the new pipes on. I will be redoing this to see if it helps.

26mm float height and yes I like the bars. Glad I went with the euros instead of clubmans.

Thanks on the seat. I'm very happy with it. Would have loved some stitching but for $10 off amazon I wont complain.

An exhaust leak might be the problem.

Did you synch the carbs yet? Adjust the valves? Timing? Gap points?

Grab some butane and blow the gas around the intake tract/carbs/carb boots as well.

they don't touch the jet, just the needle valve

top of carb gasket body to top of float height. I use a vernier caliper as it's easier to see differences

So worked on the sprockets and chain last night. Got them all on. Barely! The chain was super tight. I'm hoping it stretches a little. No chance to get to exhaust problem yet. But will tomorrow.

My old rear sprocket was pretty wore
35ca570c.jpg

Finally! Got it back to my place. It's running....(not to jinx myself) pretty good right now. Got my grandpa who knows old bikes to listen to it and said it was way too rich. Which is why it wasn't idling or revving well. Ended up turning air mix screws in quite a bit from the 3 1/2 suggested. I believe I'm running 2 on one side and 2 and 1/4 on the other. Runs smooth. Had a mishap tonight tho.

I thought my new petcock filter On position might be clogged so I've been running it on Reserve while test riding, etc to run down the gas and then take it off and clean it. Well, it died on me on the way home tonight. Frustration set in.:banghead: I opened the tank and hardly any gas. Hmmm I think, well we'll try... Luckily there was a gas station very close and it was downhill.:bike: Filled her up, back to On position and the inline filter fills up. Kick it a couple times and starts right up. Ran great the rest of the way home. I guess I shoulda checked the tank before I headed out.:thumbsup:

Ready to ride it more. Just have to get my right read blinker working now. I guess it's always gonna be something tho:shrug:

Little update.

Rear blinker was a blown bulb. Even tho it was new. Shoulda checked.

Chain had to be "ghetto rigged" with an extra link and master to get it rideable. New one with 98 links came in today. Will get it on tomorrow hopefully.

Rode it today for the first time not to shop and back home. Did great. Had a couple classes and it started right up after. Then me and the misses took it out for dinner tonight. That will take getting used to as before we had seperate seats and she had a backrest(Honda Rebel)

Slowly getting all the kinks worked out. Now I believe my fuel line is melting? I keep noticing it looks wet near the clamps but it doesn't smell like gas. I ordered it from dime city cycles and it's labeled fuel line. I would imagine its safe for fuel. Should I just get car fuel line and use it? I liked the clear braided line with my glass filter.

Slowly getting all the kinks worked out. Now I believe my fuel line is melting? I keep noticing it looks wet near the clamps but it doesn't smell like gas. I ordered it from dime city cycles and it's labeled fuel line. I would imagine its safe for fuel. Should I just get car fuel line and use it? I liked the clear braided line with my glass filter.

drewpy said:
is that tube ethanol proof?

you need nitrile tubing or expensive Viton

told you :D

PICTURES!!!!

I convinced my wife to sit on my bike tonight for some pictures. Figured she'd help pretty the pics up.

Got my bike running. Now the only problem I'm having is my right rear blinker is not working. Last bulb was blown so I replaced it and it worked for a while. But now nothing. And this bulb is not blown. Anywho. At least the bike runs now.

1590822B-0B90-491D-ADFD-CA2282691665-1634-00000243B6D6D945.jpg

E04AF8EC-7032-49FF-B7B8-CA626A8ADF16-1634-00000243D9A5BC77.jpg

CF09BFB6-1A24-480A-B993-AD87A9DEA737-1634-000002438F1BE9A3.jpg

FB3118C3-D57A-46F4-BABB-DF6FB114DDBF-1634-00000243DF7857B3.jpg

A19E29F7-24E7-4576-8E49-E105E19D8672-1634-0000024375C95319.jpg

PICTURES!!!! I convinced my wife to sit on my bike tonight for some pictures. Figured she'd help pretty the pics up...
She certainly does.:thumbsup:
But now I am not so sure I want to see an entry from you on the Photo-Montage Game Thread. :yikes:
Unless ..., :umm: maybe we could all vote to allow an entry from your bike - provided it is your wife making Vroom-vroom noises in the pic.

She certainly does.:thumbsup:
But now I am not so sure I want to see an entry from you on the Photo-Montage Game Thread. :yikes:
Unless ..., :umm: maybe we could all vote to allow an entry from your bike - provided it is your wife making Vroom-vroom noises in the pic.

....I'm not sure how to take that... I'll take it as a compliment tho lol. For my wife, bike and pictures. :laugh:

Ok after reading the Photo montage thread that totally makes a lot more sense!

....I'm not sure how to take that... I'll take it as a compliment tho lol. For my wife, bike and pictures. :laugh:
Ok after reading the Photo montage thread that totally makes a lot more sense!
All kidding aside, even the pics of your bike by itself are pretty.
And I could vote to accept a Montage entry with you on the bike ... as long as the helmet visor is down :wink2:

All kidding aside, even the pics of your bike by itself are pretty.
And I could vote to accept a Montage entry with you on the bike ... as long as the helmet visor is down :wink2:

:laugh: thanks. I appreciate that.

Oh and Dime City Cycles got back to me and the fuel lines they sell are aircraft grade so not sure what is/was going on with mine. I'm wondering if it was some carb cleaner left in my tank from cleaning. I have more ill use some and see if that was it.

Also still having blinker issues...any suggestions? Replaced the blown bulb, now the new bulb is not working, worked at first and it's not blown :shrug: Like i said tho it s running good right now. I'm just extra careful making right hand turns :D

... Oh and Dime City Cycles got back to me and the fuel lines they sell are aircraft grade so not sure what is/was going on with mine...
Well, aviation gas is high octane, leaded gas with NO ethanol. So what is good for the flying Goose may not be good for the ethanol sucking AR Gander. As usual, uncle Drewpy is undoubtedly right.

Last edited:
did you have a look at the contacts on the bad blinker ? might just need a good cleaning

I took the bulb out and scraped the contact with a screwdriver to make sure it wasn't too dirty. But not real thorough with it. I'll have a look at it tomorrow and try some more trouble shooting.

Remove the bulb and turn the signal switch on and stick and the your multimeterprobes one n the edge and center too see if you have juice.

Messed with the blinkers some more. Switched the wires so my right rear blinker was connected to my left side: Nothing, But the left rear worked with the Right blinker. So I switched wires back and switched bulbs. And right rear works (with the left rear bulb). So I look REALLY close at the (original) right rear bulb. Its not blown. :umm:

So I'm going to get another set of bulbs and try them..who knows, maybe I got a bad set? Because the wiring and connecter are both working with a working bulb....

On another note:
Anyone use bicycle grip tape? I've seen pictures of the guys from Cast and Salvage and on the Chin on the Tank blog where they've done this. Not only does it look simple and minimalist. It looks comfy and cushy. I can't stand my stock grips.

And if you haven't checked out those people. You should:
Chin On The Tank
Cast & Salvage

Back