1979 XS400 new member new bike

some questions please folks?

1. is there a correct order for tuning? or does it matter at all?

a. valve adjustment
b. points gap
c. points timing

2. does the gas tank NEED to come off for valve adjustment?

3. does the oil need to be drained before the left inspection cover is removed or will being on the mainstand limit spillage?

While I can't help with the top half of your post, I can help with the last half.

It does make it WAY easier to take the tank off to adjust the valves. I just went through this. I've probably had my tank on and off about 8 times in the last 2 weeks.

The oil does not need to be drained out as long as you have a center stand. However, you will still lose about a teaspoon even on the center stand.

thx Rambo814, he just looked and what you said about the tank makes perfect sense!

thanks again Rambo814!

he cleaned the points and reset the timing as they were off about 3mm from each of the RF LF lines... he couldn't bend the feeler gauge properly it kept snapping off so he thinks if he can get brass gauges they should bend easier and he can check the valves.... but it now fires up on one kick! :thumbsup:

The last thing you do after all of that is to sync the carbs with a manometer.

thanks levdir, I think they sound great too.

xschris, thanks for the advice, I'll tell him about that.

Good to hear! It keeps you more excited when the problems are easily fixed. I actually just bought a new set of stainless feelers and was able to bend them to fit. I used .004 for intake and .007 for exhaust. With them being so thin they are easily bent by hand and the radius of your finger keeps it from breaking. Good luck and make sure to set the valves on the correct stroke, otherwise it will sound like an old typewriter. Don't ask how I know this.

ok thanks again Rambo814! best newsof theday is I no longer have to struggle with the kickstart, he bought me a new battery today and the electric start works awesome! :laugh:

after a week of drivin around and around and around the block she had her safety today and passed, she's all legal now!! We put on 50km's together today on the highway!!

Attachments

• RZ500nXS400.jpg
    RZ500nXS400.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 238
learned how to change the airfilters today and waiting for the carb manifolds to arrive, hopefully tomorrow! we did a 140 km ride today!

he cleaned the carburetors while they were off, and we reset the handlebars more to my liking, I really love my bike even more now! it's running excellent!

:thumbsup:

Sounds like you've got a good one, both XS and husband! Soon you guys will be taking the bikes to track days, then racing amateur, then going pro...

Back