1980 Special

Excess Impulse

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hello XS400! Just got a 1980 Special, and couldn't wait to get the "cruiser" stuff off it
and start building it as more of a dual sport. This is the 1st bike I've owned that I"m not afraid to use a cut off wheel on! Got the bike for $450, with only 6400 miles on it(maybe 6700, I don't recall) Started by adding a rear fender, not sure if it's going to stay for good, but it's what I had laying around. Still need to work on a flat seat, rear hoop, tail light, turn signals and such.

Attachments

• 1003151400c.jpg
    1003151400c.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 285
Welcome to the forum. Don't through away any of the parts you pull off. A lot of people can use them to fix there bikes. In my area it's getting harder to fine good clean stock bikes:( You can post an ad in the classified section of the forum. Please keep all your build posts to one thread please. It helps keep the site organized and easier for people to follow :)

Thank you xschris. I have stored all removed parts in a new tote, and won't throw them out, not sure if I will sell them or just hang on to them. I see I did post twice, as I didn't think the 1st post actually posted. I struggle with electronic devices!
That said, what is the thread that's best for posting pics as build progresses? Do I stick to one, or put them into categories of what I'm working on ( carb and intake, exhaust, etc?)
This forum is a great resource, and I want to be respectful of it.

New handlebars finally came yesterday, just as I was leaving for work! Also, have an old, flat style seat coming from an older XS, as well as a manual and some smaller turn signals with BULBS! Can't wait to get started on it, and will post more pics. I did get the tail light/brake wired up and working, but the rear brake switch on foot pedal is not working(could be wires, as it has a piece of metal electrical conduit over it!)
The wife has other plans for me, as we are in process of building a deck on the back of house, and want to be finished before weather turns. So I do what I can with the time I have.

Too bad I don't still live in Kalamazoo. I grew up there. Looks like you scored a really good deal on your XS400. It looks like it's in a lot better condition than mine is currently. I'm in the process of fixing mine up too. Good luck with the work you have planned! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it! :)

Johnny3D, yes, too bad you don't still live here, we could build together!
I did get the bars on yesterday, need to take and post more pics. I see a lot of great builds on here, and getting ideas on what I'd like to do. I have owned a few bikes, but never done more than minor mods to them, so this will be my biggest endeavor. I don't think mine will be as epic as some, but I gotta start somewhere, and then take it to the next level.
I also have that 74 XS 650 that I have been overwhelmed by what I need and want to do to it. I'm hoping the 400 will give me the experience and confidence to build the 650.
But I am having a lot of fun with this bike, and can hardly stop thinking about it.
That said, it's off to the garage!

View attachment 19294
After drilling the head off a stripped Phillips screw, I removed the points cover to find this. Electronic ignition? Anyone know who manufactured it or anything about it? Also, under the battery box is a rectifier? and has had one of the plugs with wires removed. Is this because of the ignition? What are the other wires in the rectifier for?

Attachments

• electronic ignition.jpg
    electronic ignition.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 235
metal conduit.jpg I guess I figured out how to get pics on here, I was trying to do it from an album I created on this site, still not sure how to do that.
This was covering the wires for the rear brake light switch. I removed it, reconnected them and the brake light now works for both brakes. I then covered the wire connections with heatshrink.

tail light.jpg

This is a tail light I had got from a friend, I think it looks good, needs rechromed, but I think I will just paint it eventually. Also, the rear fender was a front aftermarket fender I just cut down and made fit. I"m not sure now if I'm keeping it, as I still need a seat. I had ordered a seat off ebay, but seller had already sold it, and cancelled my order, now I'm in need of a flat type seat, I only want the pan.

rear frame.jpg

I see lots of pictures of bikes on here and the rear frame section looks so good. I want to add a hoop, as soon as I figure out a seat. My question is, how do I get all this ugly extra braketry off the frame, to achieve a clean simple tube look? Do I just grind off the welds and smooth it down? Seems I would have a frame tube with grind marks all over it then. How is this done?

master cylinder.jpg

Ok, one more question for now. I have changed the handle bars from the "special" to a straight, dirt bike style, and the master cylinder is now at a crazy angle. Is this ok, or is there another master cylinder to swap with that will be straight? I have lots of questions I know, and I will appreciate any answers I can get.

There are other masters you can buy, but it will be fine like that as long as the reservoir seal is good. Just be sure to tilt it level when filling.

After drilling the head off a stripped Phillips screw, I removed the points cover to find this. Electronic ignition? Anyone know who manufactured it or anything about it?
Yamaha makes em. That's the stock pickup coil.
Under the battery box should be the rectifier and somewhere else down there is the TCI box, the other half of the ignition timing equation.

Yamaha makes em. That's the stock pickup coil.
Under the battery box should be the rectifier and somewhere else down there is the TCI box, the other half of the ignition timing equation.

So, does that replace the points and condensors? And what's a TCI box?
I am still waiting for the manual I ordered. It looks as though I need to research this all a little more.

So, does that replace the points and condensors? And what's a TCI box?
I am still waiting for the manual I ordered. It looks as though I need to research this all a little more.
Yes, earlier models used mechanical contact breakers actuated by a cam and mechanical advancer. Later models switched to an electronic Transistor Controlled Ignition, signaled by the pickup coil.
The TCI handles the circuit breaking and advancing electronically. The condenser is unnecessary since there are no mechanical contacts to arc.
All models still use ignition coils. TCI ignitions are often incorrectly called CDIS but CDIs would not require external ignition coils.
Definitely check out the manuals. Yamaha service manuals and Haynes guides have been posted too.

Thank-you BBS360! Never realized the condensers were only needed because of the arc from the points!
Is there any advantage since I have no points, to switch to a Pamco ignition, with the stock coils?
Also was wondering if an automotive type spark wire would work so long as it's 7mm?
Just got a Hanes manual in mail today, and defiantly will be looking at the Yamaha one too. What a great resource.

Back