1980 XS400

tumblr_n2l9xh20N61rriuweo2_250.jpg

Reworked the exhaust, took a little welding and busted knuckles but they turned out pretty good.

tumblr_n2l9xh20N61rriuweo5_250.jpg

Started cleaning up the aluminum covers

I need to get new tires but cant find anything i like. I do like the look of the vintage Firestone's but that is a little played out, and I hear those things are pretty shite to ride on. I was looking at the Dunlop K70's but they don't make a tire that fits my wheels...16" rear, 18" front.

tumblr_n34g8fHxhC1rriuweo1_1280.jpg

Got the right side of the bike buttoned up, it's starting to get there. Need to get my sprockets/ chain installed and then I can finish it up. Tank mod and paint is next on the menu.

I was looking at the dunlop k70s as well but the sizes just didn't work out. I found these duro hf308's. Cheaper and more sizes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 344
Got the right side of the bike buttoned up, it's starting to get there. Need to get my sprockets/ chain installed and then I can finish it up. Tank mod and paint is next on the menu.

Looking real good there, Atomic Wedgie! I'm diggin' the tank in natural. What are your thoughts on paint? It must sound awesome with those pipes.

tumblr_n3kyg3R0la1rriuweo1_500.jpg

tumblr_n3kyg3R0la1rriuweo2_250.jpg

tumblr_n3kyg3R0la1rriuweo3_1280.jpg

Decided to go with early 70's DT-1 tank badges, bought a donor tank, cut out the recessed mounting bracket, cut out the stock badge bracket, weld and grind, and voila. A little bondo and paint and we'll be looking sharp...hopefully.

Well...got my wheels and rear sprocket back from powder coating and I''ll be damned if I can get the rear sprocket snug to the rear hub. It's as if the rear sprocket wants to be pressed on, but I'm a little hesitant to take a hammer to it and start bashing away.

Should the rear sprocket fit snug against the four rubber/ plastic grommets that sit behind the sprocket and between the hub? I've got the four nuts and locking clips installed on the sprocket and they are snug, but the sprocket hasn't dropped close enough to the hub in order to let me install the retaining clip and circlip.

Back