1980 XS400g Special (clutch no hydraulics?)

Stevo

StevO
Reaction score
Hey all help! - so this will sound newbie and yes this is first conversion and bike in 10 years, took it for fact without paying attention when ordering new clutch and brake levers w(with hydraulics) that the bike has hydraulics, BUT they are not are they? I see no hydraulics, just straight through push/pull cables, I have read nothing about that, this is an 1980 xs400g special, I'm not missing anything here am I, I do not need hydraulic correct? I see no reservoir for clutch, just cable from lever to transmission.....

Thanks,
Stevo

was there 4? :) Intention is good, dont always get replies on all so, I'm kind of in a bind and am/was looking for fast action is all. I learn fast but sometimes the hardway! Dang can be hard to get info on these old bikes, been a long time for me on their mechanics, actually the xs400 special was my first bike but a long long time ago. So forgive the mass posts, I wont do again, but also learning the forum and the best place to post questions, etc....

Point taken!

Stevo

I am a reader and have been trying to read absolutely all i can about this model, but seems alot of ambiguity sometimes and conflicting info...

Stevo

OK - I thought the 1980 special ran a disc front brake and with a hydraulic caliper. Do you have a disc, or a drum up front?

Everything else is cables, I think.

Both of my 80's are drums front/rear. I thought they were all like this but I may have been mistaken. If you have the mag wheels with a big rotor/caliper up front than you will have a master cylinder on the front brake lever. If you have the spoke wheels it will be drums front/rear.

Now that I think about it, it may be the Special II's that came full drums. In any case sorry for the confusion but that should clear it up for you.

Both of my 80's are drums front/rear. I thought they were all like this but I may have been mistaken. If you have the mag wheels with a big rotor/caliper up front than you will have a master cylinder on the front brake lever. If you have the spoke wheels it will be drums front/rear.

Now that I think about it, it may be the Special II's that came full drums. In any case sorry for the confusion but that should clear it up for you.

I have wires on both bikes with disk brakes. Euro models only though :D

Back