1981 XS400 Scramblerized Build, eventually...

The light looks better to me. :)

Thanks, I agree!

Test painted the front fender. It looks pretty good. I will polish it later this week, after the paint fully cures, but the shine is decent and I like the color!

Front%20Fender%20Paint%204.jpg

Front%20Fender%20Paint%203.jpg

Front%20Fender%20Paint%202.jpg

Front%20Fender%20Paint%201.jpg

I did get a little done on it. I mounted the turn signals to the plate holder and made a few adjustments.

Tail%20Light%206_1.jpg

Tail%20Light%205.jpg

Tail%20Light%204.jpg

Tail%20Light%202.jpg

Tail%20Light%201.jpg

Needs some clean-up and then powder coating, and I still need to find some boots for the turn signal backs to clean it up.

Then did some painting on the tank:

Bottom last night.

Tank%209.jpg

Slow dry time with Rustoleum.

Then the top:

Sand and clean, then paint.

Tank%20Paint%204.jpg

Tank%20Paint%208.jpg

Tank%20Paint%2014.jpg

Tank%20Paint%2015.jpg

Tank%20Paint%2017.jpg

Tank%20Paint%2018.jpg

Came out looking very good IMHO.

Added a decal to my spare tank shell to see if it looked good. It does, but I need to scale it down just a bit, and get the right one without perforations.

Paint%20Decal%201.jpg

Paint%20Decal%202.jpg

Progress is good!

FYI: I found that 20wt fork oil resulted in a rather harsh ride and after a year switched back to a 10wt synthetic oil. Much more compliant ride, even in freezing temps. Small bumps are seen and heard, but not felt now.

Progress is good!

FYI: I found that 20wt fork oil resulted in a rather harsh ride and after a year switched back to a 10wt synthetic oil. Much more compliant ride, even in freezing temps. Small bumps are seen and heard, but not felt now.

Funny, I purchased 10 wt originally, but was told 20 wt works much better. Hopefully, at my 250 pounds, the 20 wt will be better. I'll report back in the spring when I finally get to ride it.

Yup. There seems to be this idea out there that anything softer than a race bike is no good. Most every journalist complains if the suspension moves when they ride a bike. I'm no rocket scientist (however I used to be an aircraft mechanic), but I figure that a suspension is supposed to absorb impacts and not transfer them to the bike and rider. Especially the many small bumps and jolts encountered every day. I don't ride on pretty Southern California roads or a race track.

When I ran 20wt oil the forks were stiff and every little bump was felt in the bars. Sure they were "damped" and "tight", more like over damped and stiff though. It took me almost a week to get used to the feeling of the suspension working, but I certainly like it better now! I've learned that suspension compliance is NOT "squirm".

Yup. There seems to be this idea out there that anything softer than a race bike is no good. Most every journalist complains if the suspension moves when they ride a bike. I'm no rocket scientist (however I used to be an aircraft mechanic), but I figure that a suspension is supposed to absorb impacts and not transfer them to the bike and rider. Especially the many small bumps and jolts encountered every day. I don't ride on pretty Southern California roads or a race track.

When I ran 20wt oil the forks were stiff and every little bump was felt in the bars. Sure they were "damped" and "tight", more like over damped and stiff though. It took me almost a week to get used to the feeling of the suspension working, but I certainly like it better now! I've learned that suspension compliance is NOT "squirm".

Good info. I'll check it out once I get it all back together. I have 10 wt already, so swapping it out is no big deal.

Thanks,

Back