77 xs400 clutch won't fully disengage, worked fine yesterday...

400x

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just changed my sprockets and chain, before i did it my clutched worked fine. after reassembling everything my clutch will not disengage. I adjusted it and you can feel the resistance on the lever as if it is working but with the lever in all the way the wheel won't roll. ...you can spin the wheel if you try hard but there is a lot of resistance. i also tried turning the adjustment screw all the way in. when i did that, it still did the same thing when the clutch lever was pulled as far as it would go. is there a part inside after the pushrod that can fall out of place or something? i didnt take out the pushrod but it may have slid outward some. and, yes, the ball bearing is still inside the worm gear. any other ideas here?

We had some similar problems with our 80 xs400. After sitting overnight the clutch would either not engage or not disengage. However, we were always able to adjust it through the lever and/or clutch adjusting mechanism to get it to work and the bike would run fine all day until it sat again overnight. Eventually is stopped and the clutch worked fine again. Although the common advise was to change the oil to motorcycle specific oil, and we did change the oil, I cannot believe the oil could affect the clutch to the degree of seesawing from complete slippage to complete lockup. Best of luck.

i tried adjusting it but that wont help. i adjusted it so that the pushrod was pushed as far as it can be pushed in and still the wheel would not turn. I'm stumped here... it worked fine for the last two years with no adjustments. i take off the sprocket cover and change the sprocket, now it wont work at all...

There is a second ball bearing between the push rod and the clutch basket. I am not sure if it has anywhere to go should the push-rod be disturbed.

Did you install the rear brake pivot/lever assembly correctly? Is it a disc brake?

. it worked fine for the last two years with no adjustments. i take off the sprocket cover and change the sprocket, now it wont work at all...

did you adjust the clutch at the sprocket cover end?

did you lose the bearing in the worm drive in the sprocket cover?

the bearing is still in the worm drive and it is a disc brake but when the bike is in neutral, the wheel spins freely.

any advice on investigating internally? never worked on a clutch before and i need to get this thing back on the road asap. i miss my 55 mpg...

Not sure where to go with this unless you're leaving something out. Other than losing the ball bearing there really isn't much to the system on that side of the bike. I can't recommend cracking open the right side if it worked perfectly before you changed the sprockets and chain.

Is the cover on straight? Are you pinching your wires and forcing it open partially? Look under the bike, near the side stand, and make sure everything is passing through the tiny hole properly.

i dont know where to go either. the clutch push rod is moving through its entire range of motion. you can feel and see that its moving. for some reason there is still resistance though when you try to turn the wheel. i screwed the adjuster inside the sprocket cover IN as far as it would go. and STILL the wheel had significant resistance. im going to try to find something the same width as the ball bearing and put it between the worm gear bearing and the rod, and if that doesnt help i will have no other ideas. the cover is on straight, the brakes are off, the cable is moving, the clutch is adjusted (both ends of the cable), the pushrod is moving, the oil is full, theres even gas in the tank, the battery is charged, its not friday the 13th, and im wearing my lucky underpants. maybe its just not working because i'm too broke to put gas in my truck and it knows i have to go to work...

just to be clear, when you say "passing through the tiny hole" you are referring to the one the clutch cable goes through, yes? everything is clear there, if so.

pulled the cover off probably fifteen times now. has to be something wrong with the pushrod mechanism. quadruple checked everything else. this is going to drive me insane. worst chain/sprocket swap EVER. is there for sure another ball bearing on the other end? and does anybody know if it could have gone somewhere? and... how long is it going to take to check it out from the right side if i havent done it before? is it going to be better or worse than i'm imagining? ha

Thinking back on when I pulled the cover off our bike: when reinstalling the worm gear, I believe the gear can be "indexed" clockwise or counterclockwise. Perhaps you should "index" the worm gear one more click in the direction that will provide additional push on the clutch. I know I'm not using the correct terminology but its the best I can come up with.

just to be clear, when you say "passing through the tiny hole" you are referring to the one the clutch cable goes through, yes? everything is clear there, if so.

No, that hole is on the top. There is a second hole on the bottom where several wires pass through (on my '78 at least). The stator wires and perhaps the oil pressure sensor are part of this bundle. The hole is under the bike near the shift lever/side stand. You cannot see it without getting your face under the bike.

hold on, there will be some "resistance" when the clutch is disengaged as that's what bikes do. when it gets warm the plates separate better.

this is called clutch drag and there will be varying degrees of it from normal to crunching on the down changes. HAVE YOU ACTUALLY RIDDEN THE BIKE?

theres enough resistance that it dies when you put it in gear unless you throttle it.

let me reword that. there is so much resistance that if i were to ride it down a ramp out of a pickup bed, i would probably have to have somebody pull me down the ramp.

plates are stuck, they need separating.

ride it in gear, pull in clutch and brake. that should separate them!

Cheers, drewpy. First time riding my bike has ever fixed my bike. :bike:

Its almost... poetic. haa

mystery solved.

Back