81 400xs turbo build

So started on the manifold today.....started thinking....I have a varicool water/meth injection kit on my sled. What is to say I can't use it to make an accessory fuel injection system?? It is boost sensing with the ability to start injection at 1 or more psi up to a max of 30. It also has a tuning feature that allows you to control the duty cycle of the pump allowing for for more or less flow.

If I didn't know any better I would say this could work as a stand alone fuel injection system to provide accessory fuel at boost!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 369
It's a little rough around the edges but this is a budget build and the manifold will be wrapped.

This was done by cutting the old exhaust and turning them towards each other and welding them up..... Next I cut the tip off and welded a short pipe and homemade flange.

I am going to tap into the oil pressure sender. If I cannot maintain enough pressure using that feed I will make a stand alone system with its own oil tank

Turbo plenum started as one piece of 5" pipe.... Notched out for frame(smaller pipe insert butterflied out). Welded on charge and bov inlets as well as plenum to carb inlets using short lengths of pipe.

I wasn't excited to build the manifold and plenum but really...... Not too bad of a job very easy to fabricate. Should be smooth sailing from here on out!

How are those carbs going to hold up to a blow through turbo setup? On cars it takes some mods to get a Holley to work.

Not sure of the volume.... Just made it as large as I could to smooth any turbo pulsing. As for the carbs I am going to try to make the factory ones work and if all else fails I will use a carb off a sport quad that someone else was successful with.

Not sure of the volume.... Just made it as large as I could to smooth any turbo pulsing. As for the carbs I am going to try to make the factory ones work and if all else fails I will use a carb off a sport quad that someone else was successful with.

I'm going to run a 1 1/4" SU carb on the supercharger. you just need to dump fuel and air in there :bike:

Not sure of the volume.... Just made it as large as I could to smooth any turbo pulsing.
I don't know what the optimum size would be but the bigger the plenum the longer it takes to pressurize and the greater the "turbo lag" effect.
As for the carbs I am going to try to make the factory ones work and if all else fails I will use a carb off a sport quad that someone else was successful with.
It should be possible to make the stock carbs work. This is not for our bike but shows the basic steps necessary: https://web.archive.org/web/20081006192936/http://www.turbo-bike.net/Pressurize%20carbs.htm
Any vents or possible leaks to atmosphere need to be blocked.
Flipping the butterfly shaft seals around can help.

While it may not be the prettiest, why not build a plenum that can house the carb inside it? Then you don't need to do anything fancy, it's all pressurized.

Back