81 Special II back to life after 28 years! fixed broken float tower, won't idle

She's finally running good. A vinegar boil and another can of carb cleaner did the trick. The throttle response could be better but it is 32 years old. I never ended up pulling the caps off the mixture screws, I didn't want to mess with them unless I needed to.
I forgot to pull out the tiny springs and ball bearings that guide the choke shaft. They must be out in the yard where I dumped the vinegar water. Anyone have these?

Now I just need a few parts to get her road worthy. Do any of you guys have these parts or know of someone that does?

complete headlight assembly or at least a headlight with ring

turn signals with all mounting hardware

right front foot peg

front fender

chrome rear grab bar

stock handlebars

I really appreciate all your help.

This bike has been sitting so long and these carbs were so gummed up that I wonder if the oil gummed up as well.
Do you think it'd be worth pulling the headcover and cranking it over to see if the top end is getting oil?
The motor isn't even broken and I don't want to ruin it.

I am glad we talked you into the boiling trick. seems to get everything you need.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-XS40...Parts_Accessories&hash=item564ca2acdd&vxp=mtr
This ends tomorrow, but I suspect if you were to email the shipper, he might have extra parts as well.

Part 54 , and 55 seem to be available from powersports plus
http://www.powersportsplus.com/part...cle/1981/XS400+-+XS400H/CARBURETOR/parts.html

It might be cheaper for a good magnet, and walk around the spill over spot. if you have a old hard drive you not using, that will have a really strong magnet in there.

I don't recall boiling that smaller stuff, Or if I did, I had something really small to keep the small things together. I don't remember anymore. I think I was more worried about the passenges than the small parts.
Tobie

I included the parts diagram, cause the one at the website I sent you to, had the logo over part 55, and 54. thats what I think is the bearing you might have lost, and the spring too. (6.22+.54x2) not too bad.

Attachments

• carburetor Showing part 54.jpg
    carburetor Showing part 54.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Back