'82 Special cafe/brat/tracker build, intro and questions.

Vigo The Carpathian

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all. New owner of an '82 XS400 Special here. Well, not really new. I've had the thing for 2 years, but they were mostly filled with cockeyed staring and speculation. Alas, aforementioned staring and speculation does not a bike build, so here I am.

I'll start with some photos, since nobody likes text anyway.
Before things were apart:
05eAVjV.jpg

Now that things are apart(ish):
kIZkNzG.jpg

The XS750 tank I picked up and put on top of my furious daily driver:
xE4qeQP.jpg

The eventual plan that is, as of now, confined to photoshop. Although probably minus the clip ons and plus some tracker bars (after some long, hard thinking about what being a 6'2 dude on a small bike with clip-ons and stock controls might make my back feel like).
kohXGfu.jpg

What needs done:
- Carb rebuild
- Brake shoes, front and rear
- New wheels (spokes and rims and rusted to hell)
- New wiring harness (the previous owners did kludge fix on top of kludge fix and I thought it better to get an unmangled harness off ebay and start fresh.

Now, for the questions:
-I'm looking to pick up a hoop for the frame, my problem being, as with most sites that sell them, is that the XS400 frame after the suspension mounts is quite wide and is not compatible with most sizes sold on various custom sites. The frame is 7/8" tubing, and outer edge to outer edge would need to be 9.75". I'm looking for a hoop with an upturned tail as well. Does anyone know of any folks who either sell a compatible size or would be able to custom make one? I don't have the equipment at my disposal or the know how of tube bending to make one myself.

-What product/abrasive would you all recommend for getting surface rust off a frame? As this is my first bike and definitely a budget enterprise, I don't have much interest in powdercoating the frame, but I'd like to get it cleaned up a bit before hitting it with some high temp black or something. I've heard CLR is pretty decent, but any opinions would be welcome.

-Anyone have any idea what this goddamn weirdo hook is? It was attached to my harness and was hooked to something towards the underside of the engine, but god knows what as it came off before I could see what it was attached to.
R6XC9aj.jpg

Many more updates and stupid questions to come, especially when I've realized just how little I know what I'm doing and start to post from the fetal position on my shop floor.

To remove rust from the frame I would use an angle grinder with a knurled wire cup, or a flap wheel. If you only have a drill then use a wire brush.

That wire hooks to your brake pedal. it actuates the rear brake light switch. you have your work cut out for you. Should look good when you finish.

It's nice to have pics of the bike you are working on:) Your bike looks to be an 81 not a 82. If the first three letters on the vin are 4R4 OR 4R5 it's a 81. The 82 starts with 14V and has the blacked out parts ie engine, carbs, fenders, forks etc. Good luck with the build can't wait to see what you come up with.

I'll give it a look next time I'm by the shop. It has a reconstructed title due to one of the previous owners losing the title a while back, so we've all been guessing anywhere between 80 and 83.

I've got a long road ahead of me with this thing, but luckily I'm renting a garage space with a bunch of guys who know vaguely what they're doing.

I'm taking it down to the frame as we speak and going up from there...I'm not too knowledgeable about plenty of what's going on with this bike, but since most of it is a total shit show right now, it couldn't hurt to take everything apart and get a general handle of what's going on.

I paid less than $400 for the bike, so if it ends up that I'd rather part it and start on another bike, I could probably get more for the parts than what I bought it for.

Also, random question. Are all XS400 SOHC frames the same? I was operating under the assumption they were, but after some frame loop-prep measurements I'm starting to second guess myself.

No, I don't think they are all the same. I know that the swing-arms have changed a few times, there are different side covers, different gas tanks, etc.

I can tell you the 81/82 frames have 3 point engine mounts rather than the earlier 4 point. The engine is cast with 4 points but the top rear is not used.

The square 77D and 78 2-E are mostly the same as the rounded engines other than the exhaust ports are a bit longer because of the wider fins. There are a few other things like compression ratios and electronic ignition setups but no major things.

The square 77D and 78 2-E are mostly the same as the rounded engines other than the exhaust ports are a bit longer because of the wider fins. There are a few other things like compression ratios and electronic ignition setups but no major things.

Thanks man! Do you by any chance know what the code for mine might be? There's a whole slew of wiring diagrams in my repair manual but I'm not sure which corresponds to my bike.

You say you bike is an 82 but it looks more like an 80 or 81 because the 82 sohc would have been all black engine/forks. I would check the vin# on the frame-motor to better tell what you have.

This is the codes and models.

Attachments

• DSC02355.jpg
    DSC02355.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 412
Back