'82 Special cafe/brat/tracker build, intro and questions.

Bump for a quick answer on the above.

Also, what's the best way to grind off the gussets around the frame tubing towards the rear end without cutting into the frame itself?

All the frames at the tubes should be the same. But between my 80 and my 79 the shock mounts are not as long. This maybe the differences you are getting with width.

Attachments

• DSC02415.jpg
    DSC02415.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 317
  • DSC02416.jpg
    DSC02416.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 303
Small question re: wiring harness stuff.

Does anyone know what the small black box is that mounts to the frame between the battery and the tank? It's got rubber surround that attaches via a thin tab on the frame?

I seem to have misplaced that part during the disassembly process and need to know the name/part number to replace it.

Thanks!

If it's this than it's the self canceling unit for the turn signals.

Attachments

• DSC02468.jpg
    DSC02468.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 247
Picked up these for a song on ebay.

10294512_768746003143779_6365806406665781256_n.jpg

Giving the frame a good power wash this evening after work. It appears to be quite decent shape aside from a few small rust spots, but nothing aircraft stripper and some steel wool can't take care of. Frame work upcoming in the next few weekends now that it's bare...tail hoop and and getting some mounting points sorted for the 750 tank.

Got the frame hoop welded up today with the help of my good friend Dan. Came out better than I could have hoped for. I'm quite happy with the results. I also cut the cross support and cinched in the frame by about an inch. The narrower profile really does it well.

nz12c95.jpg

DJXQOJX.jpg

PS- I accidentally bent the rear brake rod something fierce while carelessly lowering the jack. I suppose I could bend it back straight, but for the relatively low price and safety aspects, does it make more sense to just buy a straight rod?

Started in on the engine a bit today. Pleasantly surprised to find everything much less of a shitshow than I expected, given the miles and the amount of grime that was on it when I got started.

18v0ehK.jpg

SrBIuWq.jpg

jKjNdLq.jpg

This is actually coming together between a few friend's garages. Engine's at one, frame's at another, everything else is in my basement in Philly getting individual components rebuilt.

Hey Vigo, l've been enjoying your rebuild but you seem to have gone off the air. It is still happening or have l missed something?

Back